News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Musical Recomendation Helpline

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), July 30, 2007, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Is No ga itai a correct translation for My brain hurts? (I just replaced the word for stomach with brain in the sample sentence I have stomach ache in the Japanese pocket dictionary)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Dunno...  I only can give you the Korean pe apayo for that one...
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

A colleague got that placed on his doctoral cap by us because he spent some time in Japan (and also liked Monty Python)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

goat starer

could anyone recommend some really good modernish eastern european folk music?
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

All I can recommend in that way are current Brass orchestras, but those are rather more focused on classical folk music, but very enjoyable:

Goran Bregovic and the Wedding and Funerals Orchestra
Emir Kusturica and the No Smoking Orchestra
Boban i Marko Markovic Orkestar

I'm back..

Aggie

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on August 14, 2007, 01:51:09 AM
Emir Kusturica and the No Smoking Orchestra

Oh, their cover of the Clash's 'Lost in the Supermarket' is AMAZING!
I've been playing it on repeat lately.

Quote from: goat starer on August 14, 2007, 01:22:42 AM
could anyone recommend some really good modernish eastern european folk music?

Try Gogol Bordello if you fancy a bit of gypsy punk.  Not really folk, but definite EE influence.   
WWDDD?

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Quote from: AgieTry Gogol Bordello if you fancy a bit of gypsy punk.  Not really folk, but definite EE influence. 

I was just thinking about telling about them.

But you beat me to it.

And Gogol Bordello are really great. :)

EDIT: and on a similiar note: Gipsy.cz - A czech groupd doing gipsy hip hop.. ;D quite interesting...

I'm back..

Aggie

I went to see Gogol Bordello, but the show was sold out. :(

Oh, Kiyo...  you should check out Drunken Tiger if you like international hip-hop.  They are Korean and really good - try get their early stuff, it sounds quite a bit like Pharcyde.
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

If anyone is interested in Middle Eastern music, Lisa Gerrad is fantastic. Melodic and gorgeous.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I'm starting to really like ska lately, so I was wondering, if someone could give me some recommendations.

Personally, I have obtained some albums by Ska-P, Los de Abajos and Skatalites.

I like Skatalites, because that's the root of ska... But I'd like to get my hands on some good ska-punk.

Any suggestions?

I'm back..

Aggie

Perhaps a bit of an acquired taste, but if you don't mind something on the harder side, "No Gods, No Managers" by Choking Victim was my favorite album for YEARS.  Might still be, except I don't have a favourite album (or favorite food) any more.

I have never managed to track down an entire album, but I like the couple of songs I've heard by Mouthwash.

For the money (if you're buying), try to find the Hellcat Records sampler CDs "Give 'Em The Boot" vol. 1-3; there's a huge range of ska, punk, and everything in between on those - great compilations and available here for about $6 a piece.

Also, not precisely ska or punk, but along the same line (heavy reggae and SoCal punk influences)...  you do listen to Sublime, right?  Start with 40 oz. to Freedom, then their self-titled, and then anything else you can get your hands on.  Forget the 3 or 4 singles they had - you need to hear whole albums.  Essential Kiyo music, I think.  :mrgreen:

WWDDD?

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I know I can get my hands on Choking Victim and Sublime.

I've heard a few songs by Sublime, and I liked them...

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find teh "Give 'Em the Boot" CD. I'll see...

I'm back..

Aggie

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on August 23, 2007, 09:41:01 PM
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find teh "Give 'Em the Boot" CD. I'll see...

It's the same record label that CV is on, so maybe it's possible (CV songs on 2 or 3 or those CDs).  I'm not sure if these were distributed in Europe, though; it's an American label.
WWDDD?

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Well, IMO, it won't be easy to find it.

I know where I can get Sublime and CV though, no problem there, not sure if I can get everything they've ever released, but hey, that's the beauty of looking for music... You never know what you find along the way... :P

I'm back..

Aggie

Heh, don't look too hard for CV, because they only released one full-length album and some EPs; however, if you like them, most of the band reformed as Leftover Crack.  I like CV better, but LoC is pretty similar.
WWDDD?