News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Musical Recomendation Helpline

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), July 30, 2007, 04:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I am the kind of guy that from time to time wants to listen to something new and interesting. Sometimes I have heard a certain kind of music but I don't know the musicians nor where to look for them. I believe we can have a thread in which we can ask for musical suggestions or give musical suggestions when we have found something that we believe may be enjoyed by anyone of us.

To start, I would like to ask if any of you knows and enjoys industrial music and can make some recommendations.

Any takers?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

I'm sorry that I can't help with the industrial.  But I would like to make a recommendation...  Michael Franti & Spearhead.

Actually was thinking of PMing Opas about this because every time I listen to one of the albums I figure it would be right up her alley.  Very Toadfishy, from a political & spiritual aspect, and also fond of a good party.  A good quote from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Franti

QuoteIn an interview, Franti talks about the message of Stay Human: "Half the record is songs about what's happening in the world right now, and the other half is about how we cope with it as people who are concerned about what's going on," he says. "This spectre of war, intimidation, this nation vs. the rest of the world, it wears us out. Half the record is a healthy dose of venting anger about that, and the other half is about how do we hold on to our spirituality, our community and our connectedness to each other."

Genre-wise, they are pretty broad; reggae, funk, hip hop, rock - all on any single album.  Would definitely recommend the new album Yell Fire!  and also Stay Human.  If you pick up Stay Human, take the time to sit down and listen all the way through, because it is constructed as a radio program, and best enjoyed as one.  Good for a long drive or an afternoon with the headphones.

Who I think would especially dig this: Opas, Chatty, Kiyo, Goatie...  but I think many others would too. 

Oh, one more recommendation that definitely falls under 'something different':  I picked up a world music compilation called "Another World is Possible" at the library.  It's very good overall, but there's a cover of Lost in the Supermarket by Emir Kusturica and the No Smoking Orchestra that makes it worth tracking down.  I loooooooves the library for music.

Good thread, Zono!  My musical tastes have expanded a lot in the last couple of years, but I have similar problems breaking in to genres.
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I love Spearhead! I recently acquired one of the CD's (Yell Fire, I think).

I listen to some industrial, though it tends to be goth-ish.
Skinny Puppy
Qntal
Eisbrecher
The Cruxshadows
Corfax Abbey
Can't think of any other's off the top of my head. will look at my CD though.

I love finding new genres! (Nerdcore, Altnernative rap, etc.) You find all sorts of interesting things.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

I am almost completely into obscure classical music, so I can give recommendations only in that area.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

goat starer

Skinny Puppy! now there is good band..

Front 242 would be my recommendation.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on July 30, 2007, 04:26:10 AM
To start, I would like to ask if any of you knows and enjoys industrial music and can make some recommendations.

Any takers?
I like KMFDM, myself.

I used to be into Front Line Assembly; I ended up getting bored of them after a while (though this was at least 10 years ago), but they might be worth checking out.  They have a link to Skinny Puppy through Bill Leeb (a.k.a. Wilhelm Schroeder).

BTW - I've found www.allmusic.com good for checking out bands.  If you start with one you like, you can follow the "similar artists", "influenced by" and "followers" links to find other interesting stuff.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I can't help you much with the original industrial music, as I'm much more confident with post-industrial movements, especially industrial rock and electro industrial.

I can tell you a few names that are worth mentioning:

KMFDM (Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid)
In Strict Confidence
Young Gods
Ministry

(they all tend to go more towards heavy metal and black metal though)

Also IAMX are very influenced by industrial, as far as I can see. But I can verily recommend it, seen them live, have the albums.

I'm back..

goat starer

I forgot about KMFDM.... KMFDM are the tops....

not sure about your provenancxe for the name however... i was always given to understand it stood for...

Kill Mother F***ing Depeche Mode

apologies  :mrgreen:

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Aww. I like Depche Mode.

Another one I like (not so much industrial as just weird) is Corvus Corax. They are AWESOME.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Gee! Thanks dear sibs! I'll check the recommendations.

^__^

Note: according to the wiki KMFDM
Quote from: wikipediaKMFDM is an initialism for the nonsensical and grammatically incorrect German phrase "Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid", which literally translates as "no majority for the pity" but is typically given the loose translation of "no pity for the majority" or "no mercy for the masses".
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

goat starer

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on July 31, 2007, 03:04:41 AM
Note: according to the wiki KMFDM
Quote from: wikipediaKMFDM is an initialism for the nonsensical and grammatically incorrect German phrase "Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid", which literally translates as "no majority for the pity" but is typically given the loose translation of "no pity for the majority" or "no mercy for the masses".

we all have our sources.......

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/KMFDM

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

Swatopluk

It should be das not die Mitleid

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

And it should be "Keine Mehrheit".

I'm pretty sure the mistakes are made on purpose though... Even wiki says it's "nonsensical and grammatically incorrect"...

And btw, also very good industrial rock band is Nitzer Ebb...

EDIT:
Quote from: wikipediaConfusion often arises regarding the correct German expansion of the acronym, primarily stemming from the aforementioned language issues. In German, nouns possess genders that require proper declension of any preceding articles or adjectives. In the true phrase, the articles preceding the nouns "Mehrheit" and "Mitleid" are inflected for the wrong gender. However, swapping the two nouns yields the grammatically correct "Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit", which additionally translates directly as "no pity for the majority". Adding to the confusion is the fact that this "correct" phrase appears within the lyrics to the song "Megalomaniac", which Konietzko revealed was done in order to confuse people who were always telling the band their name was wrong

I'm back..

Swatopluk

Aggie

Heh, my favorite bad grammer is "My hand is the pervert".  I know it in a couple of additional languages (originally Japanese - watashi no te ga sukebe desu).
WWDDD?