News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The strangest thing I [past tense verb] today was....

Started by Outis the Unready, September 25, 2006, 07:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Saved my telephone from internment in the garage. Somebody left it out there, and I had to hunt around for it. ::)
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Put an instruction card explaining "how to flush" in my bathrooom for my forthcoming visitors.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

This is for the week, not just today...

I've had a whole bunch of odd things happen to me over the course of National Dairy Goat Awareness Week.  As Bill & Ted said, strange things are afoot at the Circle K:

- on Monday (I think it was Monday), I passed the mouth of the local creek and saw a plethora (well, if a "plethora" is six or so) of large salmon flopping around in the shallows... not like they were having trouble breathing or anything, but more like when a dog scratches his back on a carpet.

- on Tuesday, we had fire training for a big car race coming up.  I got to go to the Fire Department training centre and spray fire extinguishers at things (or as one of the other guys put it, "blow powder" ;) ).  This one isn't too strange, since I do it every year, but I only do it once per year, so I think it counts a little.  I also got two fillings replaced.

- on Wednesday, my driver called to tell me that he's withdrawing from our rally this weekend.  The fish were doing their thing again as well.

- also on Wednesday, the protective epoxy (I think) coating on my one new filling decided to go walkabout.  First time anything like that has ever happened to me.

- on Thursday, my car just up and quit.  It was running... and then it wasn't.  My best guess is it's something fuel-ish (hopefully just a filter, but possibly the fuel pump).

- and this morning, Friday, I saw a crane or heron down where the fish were doing their thing... from what I can gather from www.whatbird.com , I think it might've been a Great Blue Heron!

And the final strange thing I did today was visit www.whatbird.com !

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Here's the strangest thing I saw yesterday:

A 2-foot-long snake in the grass... with a frog... mostly sticking out of its mouth... while the snake attempted to swallow it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Funny, I saw a snake about the same length 2 days ago but it was just struggling to go up a step. 
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

not that strange, but worth mentioning: I learned today is Sean Connerys birthday. well actually, yesterday, 'cos it's 12:30

but hey, I didn't even know it. and I watched a bond film. (pierce, sadly, not Sean)

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Aggie

Yesterday - cremated a fish. 

No, that's not a comment on my cooking!  What else to do with a dear friend?  Too sentimental to flush (this particular fish, the white clouds are mindless eating machines and would return to the earth via that particular route), and no land for a burial.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Gar! Having just watched the film "The Thing" I am rather fed up with cremations. ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Lindorm

Hmmmm, been a while since I indulged in a bit of thread necromancy.... :D

Anyway, the strangets thing I have seen today was this webpage:

http://themormonworker.org/

Apparently a group of leftist-ish mormons trying to reconcile the book of mormon with labour activism. Huh.

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Lindorm on August 20, 2010, 07:57:39 PM
............. a group of leftist-ish mormons...........

isn't that an oxymorman ? :giggle:

congrats on The Resurrection of This Thread.
Psychic Hotline Host

Lindorm

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Opsa

Brilliant one, Griffin! It might have to go in the lexicon.

Sibling DavidH

Strangest thing today:

We were asked to help with a distant relative's funeral.  Not to sit in the dingy old chapel and croak hymns, but to stay behind at the flat where everyone met up, and look after Cap'n B while they all went to the crem.

We spent 2 hours with the little monkey, playing in the park and watching the river Severn rapidly flooding said park - great fun! - then back for coffee and cakes with the mourners and off home.  We had a splendid afternoon; so did Cap'n B.  Best funeral we've (not) been to for ages.

Griffin NoName

Oh he's sweet. Cherish every moment (I know you do). Mine is so far away in Canada.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Thanks, Griffin.  I think I can imagine how tough it was to lose yours.  :hug: