News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What does your desk look like?

Started by Darlica, February 05, 2014, 02:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Quote from: Swatopluk on March 11, 2014, 01:58:57 PM
Quote from: Opsa on March 11, 2014, 01:29:34 PM
No! Not that!

Now that I know they are crisps, I take you for a Frenchman.  ;)

as weak sauce as that crisps brand is you may do so.
The strong stuff is out at the moment and I will not likely get new before the end of the month.

Quote from: Lindorm on March 11, 2014, 01:53:33 PM
Quote from: Swatopluk on March 11, 2014, 01:14:14 PM
Quote from: Opsa on March 11, 2014, 01:08:26 PM
Swato- I thought it was some kind of baked apple dessert. Apfel strudel? Is that racist or something?

Do you take me for an Austrian? :fit: :fit: :fit:

Isn't that a Mozartkugel behind the computer screen? And I bet that stereo is playing something by Franz Lehar...  ;)

I cannot see anything even remotely looking like that. I hate the filling of these in any case.
And Mozart was neither an Austrian nor a German. Salzburg was an independent country at the time.
I think the last thing I played on that ancient audio device was an early Russian opera.

Btw, crisps are iirc a Belgian invention
Eh, I was making an American joke, as here they are sometimes called French fries, which has nothing to do with the French. No, wait a minute, I guess your crisps are more like our chips, which in England are more like French Fries. I'm so confused!

Personally at my desk I am playing "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy" and a bunch of thrilling John Phillip Sousa marches as I salute the US flag with one and and type with the other. PLUS- I'm eating some kind of US food, but I can't think of what it could be at the moment. Everything pretty much originates from elsewhere around here.

Lindorm

Quote from: Swatopluk on March 11, 2014, 01:58:57 PM

I think the last thing I played on that ancient audio device was an early Russian opera.

As long as it's not anything by Gitti & Erika, it's all OK...  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfO-ZxLhiYc

(Caution: clicking on the link might have adverse effects on your sanity and fragile sense of esthetics)

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

I know that one.
It is not the worst by far that 'volkstümliche Schlager/Hitparade' has to offer. :eeksign:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Lindorm on March 11, 2014, 02:42:51 PM
(Caution: clicking on the link might have adverse effects on your sanity and fragile sense of esthetics)
Oh gott... you weren't kidding with the disclaimer!
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Opsa on March 11, 2014, 01:08:26 PM
Roy, your business desk is very neat and clean. How can you possibly get anything done?  ;) (Hmm, I guess your description of your boss' work deflection answers that.)
I try to do as much as possible electronically. I can get work email and appointments on my phone, I have a shared Google drive full of the resources I need (I have a natty little Android tablet that backs up everything I put on the drive, so even with no internet access I can give out information). Because I run an information line, I always have lots of posters, business cards, trolley tokens, stress toys, and my current favourite - a branded fridge magnet whiteboard.

We considered 'hot-desking', but because so much of our work is reactive to other people's crises we could never plan in advance accurately enough to make it work. I'd far rather be out doing home visits than sit at a desk, though.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 11, 2014, 06:25:27 PM
Quote from: Lindorm on March 11, 2014, 02:42:51 PM
Oh gott... you weren't kidding with the disclaimer!

Worth clicking simply for finding out what Jagertee is.  Overproof spiced rum and black tea?  Yes please!
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Even helps in case of an unplanned visit by Death
[youtube=425,350]rBMnkVXq1iE[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBMnkVXq1iE

Opsa

That EAV video is adorable, even if I only understood every 15th word. But aren't they  :o AUSTRIAN  :o ?

Why can't you play some good, wholesome Heino? Or maybe Heino is too busy playing around with Gitti & Erika.

Swatopluk

They are Austrian but apart from the accent quite different from the Austrianism I despise. Hey, they got sued a few times for pointing out the hypocrisy that is Austria's state virtue #1.

Whatever one thinks of Heino, the guys has certain musical qualities.
Still that is no reason not to poke fun at him occasionally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx9HEn8aq1c

Opsa

Oh absolutely, there's no doubt that Heino is talented.  I hope he takes the pokes well. They help keep his career alive.

Lindorm

Quote from: Swatopluk on March 13, 2014, 07:48:00 AM
They are Austrian but apart from the accent quite different from the Austrianism I despise. Hey, they got sued a few times for pointing out the hypocrisy that is Austria's state virtue #1.

Which reminds me of the, shall we say, mixed response in the Austrian media when Elfride Jelinek was awarded the Nobel prize for literature...
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Pachyderm

My desk at work. Which I am spending more time at than I'd like. I'm an ecologist, I'm supposed to be out in fields, up to the elbow in badger holes....

Well, that didn't work. So here is a photo of my favourite thing on my desk...
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Griffin

Shouldn't that have six colour blocks? Or is is an easy one for badgers
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Pachyderm

It an easy one for ecologists....  :)
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....