News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What'd you do last weekend?

Started by Opsa, February 03, 2014, 04:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

Hey! Here's where we can talk a little about what we did last weekend, especially if it was interesting.

Yesterday was Superbowl Sunday in the USA, basically a sports holiday revolving around the National football championship game.

The Ops family are not sports fans, and although this makes us shunned by some, we like to take advantage of Superbowl Sunday by going to the Washington DC National Mall (a mall of excellent free museums, not stores!) on the one day a year that it is easily navigable.

We started at the Botanical Gardens (a gigantic greenhouse), where we strolled though the various rooms of live plants without our coats, breathing in the moist, fragrant air and soaking up some rays of sun.

We then crossed the mall (a big green, where all the major demonstrations are usually held, since the US Capitol building is on one side) to the National Gallery of Art East Wing, where contemporary art is displayed, then crossed under in the throughway below the street, where we had some gelato by the indoor waterfall before continuing into the National Gallery West Wing, which contains classical pieces.

From there we went out to the sculpture garden. By then the temperatures had risen to near 60F and it was quite pleasant. People were skating on the ice rink in the sunshine, and I found the "new" Chagall mosaic, a big piece that had been in someone's garden in Georgetown until about a month ago. Since I am an art nerd, this was thrilling.

We then walked to the American History museum where Mr. Ops wanted to see the coin collection, and we also visited Julia Childs' kitchen recreation among other things. It may sound boring, but it was very interesting to me what good vibes this old kitchen held. It was definitely a happy workshop, filled with Julia's love of the art of cooking. It was like an artist's studio- all her tools were all over the place- there were no blank walls! In the middle was a long table with some fascinating handmade three legged chairs at the ends. I could just picture the place filled up with steam and people hanging out at the table, tasting things.

Our feet were beat by the end of the day, but we were very happy. We went home and ordered Chinese food and watched "Sunset Boulevard". That's my idea of a perfect Superbowl Sunday.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Two weekends ago we went to Colorado to do some site seeing, now we want to go back to take sky lessons... Once I organize I'll post some pictures.

One weekend ago we went to Gainsville to my son's audition and interview for the University of Florida music program, in two weeks we should know if he passed to the school proper for Foreign Relations.

This past weekend, I was driving him around as he had an evaluation with the school's Jazz Band and then run back as he had two performances with the drama department (playing electric bass in the pit).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

I was working. ::)  That's a whole other story, which I am too exhausted to report at the moment...

Sounds like my kind of mall, Opsa!
WWDDD?

roystonoboogie

Saturday I played drums in the band at a 60th birthday party in someone's living room. I've played in licensed venues that were smaller and had less space for dancing than this living room. There was a seven-piece rock 'n' roll band, and about thirty people dancing, and they didn't even have to remove the grand piano first.
:squidmusicLT: :zombie_walk: :zombie_walk: :zombie_walk: :squid_musicRT:

Sunday I cleaned the car prior to its MOT test. It passed, eventually - no need to sell a kidney this time around.
:mrgreen:

Lindorm

Quote from: Opsa on February 03, 2014, 04:04:17 PM
Julia Childs' kitchen recreation among other things. It may sound boring, but it was very interesting to me what good vibes this old kitchen held. It was definitely a happy workshop, filled with Julia's love of the art of cooking. It was like an artist's studio- all her tools were all over the place- there were no blank walls! In the middle was a long table with some fascinating handmade three legged chairs at the ends. I could just picture the place filled up with steam and people hanging out at the table, tasting things.

Now that's a shrine where I could imagine myself worshipping!  ;)

Me, I was out driving trains. It's something that I do so rarely nowadays that I consider it a therapeutic activity, so it was really nice to get out and about a bit.

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)