News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

stuff on fireworks chemistry. I might have to hold a presentation on that.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aphos

I had read most of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, but had not got around to reading the final trilogy for various reasons.  So I read the whole thing, front to back, including the prequel.  Enormous.  15 books with a total of about 10,000 pages.

I found the last book a rather tough read.  The good guys are in a bad way right from the start, and every time it seems they have gotten themselves a little breathing room it turns out they've walked into another trap and things go from bad to worse.  A lot of characters end up dead.

The good guys do win in the end.  However the Wheel of Time keeps on spinning and the "solution" the main character comes up with just means that it is all going to happen again in the far future...which just bummed me out more.

Currently reading Bill Nye's recent book on evolution.  Not expecting any really new information but I am interested in seeing how he presents the subject to an uneducated public.  It is essentially "Evolution for Dummies".
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Aggie

I've been reading the Wheel of Time since I was 11, and did a re-read before finishing the final book.

I must say that I was largely satisfied with the way it ended, and after a slightly rocky changeover (i.e. some characters initially falling a little out of character in the first book of the final trilogy) I thought Brandon Sanderson did a good job of taking over where RJ left off.  Given the premise of the Wheel of Time, I wasn't bothered by the fact that there was no final solution - there never is a final solution.

I'm a bit bummed that the fictional universe is effectively dead (in terms of RJ writing it), since the series foreshadowed quite a few post-finale events that would have made for more good reading.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In the Dust of This Planet from Eugene Thacker. It has been described as horror philosophy, and makes an interesting analysis from demonology to H.P. Lovecraft. Highly recommended.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.