News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The Parrot's Lament by Eugene Linden, a very interesting book about animal intelligence from a more anecdotal POV (but not ignoring the science, mind you).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

A Good Year by Peter Mayle. Winter distraction reading.

Swatopluk

Christopher Clark - The Sleepwalkers
A rather iconoclastic view at the genesis of WW1. I already had a rather low opinion of the political landscape of the time but this makes it even worse, although some characters come better off than others (upgrade from villains to mer idiots). As with the other books of the author, highly recommendable, provided you have lots of time to spare. Lots of pages and info to process.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
African novel. Very serious.
and (depending on mood)
How to Talk Minnesotan- A Visitor's Guide by Howard Mohr
Humor. Lots of fun dialogue situations spoofing language books, only with the dry Minnesotan way of fairly non-communicative conversation.

Swatopluk

I have finished The Sleepwalkers.
Among other stuff currently a study on women in the Viking age

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

After seeing yet another Facebroke meme supposedly by Iaasic Asimov (he died long before the tech was possible... meh) I had a strong urge to read I, Robot again.   So, I bookmarked the fluff novel I was reading (I like lightweight novels sometimes-- most are indie authors, and sell for $3 or less on Kindle) and searched.  The book was Kindled, and cheap, so I got I, Robot and quickly read the first 3 shorts in it (the book is basically a collection of robot-themed stories tied together by it's human characters).

Bliss... it'd been long enough, that I had forgotten the essential details in most of the tales.  After becoming sated on that, I then turned to a package-deal by Jennifer Estep, a silly (but readable) series of 4 books set in a world where comic book super heroes (and villains) are real.  And radioactive goo pretty much guarantees you'll get super powers (if you survive).  It's lightweight, very silly and a fun read.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

New Tim Powers - Hide Me Among the Graves.  I just read The Anubis Gates, so it makes an interesting sequel.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Almost finished: Jenny Jochens - Women in Old Norse Society

Darlica

Quote from: Aggie on February 04, 2014, 06:24:58 AM
New Tim Powers - Hide Me Among the Graves.  I just read The Anubis Gates, so it makes an interesting sequel.

Shall we start a book circle?  ;D

Hide Me Among the Graves is actually the sequel to The Stress Of Her Regard.
A very good swashbuckling, mystic novel with Lord Byron, Keats and the Shelly couple as supporting acts.
You will get the explanation to why the poets and painters on the era (about 1800-1820) was so pale and anaemic... and it wasn't tuberculosis...  ;D 

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

roystonoboogie

Just finished the Song of Ice and Fire books.

Now stuck for something to read...

Swatopluk

Restarted reading the biography of Snorri Sturluson

Aggie

Quote from: Darlica on February 04, 2014, 11:14:22 AM
Quote from: Aggie on February 04, 2014, 06:24:58 AM

Shall we start a book circle?  ;D

Hide Me Among the Graves is actually the sequel to The Stress Of Her Regard.
A very good swashbuckling, mystic novel with Lord Byron, Keats and the Shelly couple as supporting acts.
You will get the explanation to why the poets and painters on the era (about 1800-1820) was so pale and anaemic... and it wasn't tuberculosis...  ;D 

Yes, I've read that one as well... but Byron also shows up in Anubis Gates, and the timeline/setting makes that one the first of a non-continuous trilogy. Looking back at a summary of The Stress Of Her Regard, the connection between the latter two makes a bit more sense. AG doesn't involve the Nephilim, but the London setting provides a bit of continuance.

I've got Earthquake Weather on standby, which is the collision-sequel of Last Call and Expiration Date. I can't get my hands on those two from this library; the latter is the first TP book I read, and still one of my favorites, along with Declare.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco once more (does it mean you're getting old when you want to go to familiar places?).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 28, 2015, 08:58:29 PM
Reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco once more (does it mean you're getting old when you want to go to familiar places?).

There are people who re-read books over and over, all ages (the people), and then there's people who don't. (I am feeling wise today).

Life, Death and Brain Surgery: Do No Harm.  A sort of autobiography.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand