News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on December 29, 2006, 06:03:37 AM
Well, I've gone and done it....

... found a sale at the bookstore... I left with a copy of The Colour of Magic.

I knew what I was getting into, so whatever happens is my own fault.   ;)
Could it be peer pressure? I just bought that one and trusting my fellow siblings got two more (Mort and Guards! Guards!). I just started TCOM, perhaps we are still on time to save ourselves?
:daz:
---
I also read different things at the same time, read a book based on the Halo video game (Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund if you must know), and ate it like a candy, and on the more serious I am still half way into Solzhenitzin's First Circle.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Chatty

I resisted Pratchettization for four years.

Then, the sig quote to end all sig quotes, a Pratchett quote showed up on a forum, and I was sunk.

Something about Quoth, the raven and olives... ;)
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

On holiday so Secret Smile Nicci French. But she has gone off. So many start out good, and merely deteriorate. Having said that, for some reason I perservered and now at page 70 I am totally hooked.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Not a rare occasion. Going into at full steam, then settling down a bit and gathering momentum again. With some authors I get the impression that they could continue for ever and have to force an ending on themselves. Some kind of "I have to finish within 10 pages or the editor gets angry". A lot of those tend to stage a massacre at the end just to not leave any threads loose (the French seem to have a special predilection for that in my limited experience).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

<:offtopic:> Like those plays where almost the whole cast ends up scattered around in  death throes in the final scene? Revengers Tragedy Middleton Hamlet.... et al

I just learnt there's a (questionably attributed) Atheists Tragdey by Middleton.  >:offtopic:>

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I read some of the Arsene Lupin novels. The author of those had that nasty habit of discarding characters not necessary anymore for the plot or potential handicaps for the sequels.
That's the great difference to Pratchett, who really cares for even the smallest supporting character (be they nice or not).
---
Just have started Conservatives without a Conscience by John Dean

Aggie

Diet for a poisoned planet: how to choose safe foods for you and your family by David Steinman.

Very highly recommended for anyone who prefers not to accumulate a body-load of industrial chemicals and pesticides, at least as a starting point.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Just finished Conservatives without Conscience and not yet sure which 500-1000-pager I should take next (there are several in the unread pile)

beagle

Halfway through "Applications=code+markup" By Charles Petzold. Another classic from the Windows expert, this time about Windows Presentation Foundation.
The angels have the phone box

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Currently reading "Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales," and attempting to plow through Culture Warroirby Bill O'Reilly.:P My grandmother sent it to me and I feel I ought to read it, even if I think he's an idiot.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

A thick tome on naval propulsion systems

Sibling Chatty

Re-reading The Fifth Elephant (Pratchett) and about to start on one of two more serious books. I'll decide which after I finish the fun stuff!
This sig area under construction.

Aggie

Ach!  Fell off of Pratchett (waiting for Wintersmith) and my reading exploded.  I'm working on a book buffet, which is apt since most are food-related:

Pandemonium : bird flu, mad cow disease and other biological plagues of the 21st century - Andrew Nikiforuk

Curry : a tale of cooks and conquerors - Elizabeth Collingham (non-fiction Indian food history)

From the earth : Chinese vegetarian cooking
- Eileen Yin-Fei Lo

Wild fermentation : the flavor, nutrition, and craft of live-culture foods - Sandor Ellix Katz

and browsing You can never find a rickshaw when it monsoons : the world on one cartoon a day Mo Willems (recommended - a travelogue by sketch)

WWDDD?

Swatopluk

An edition of the Carmina Burana with modern melody transcriptions
(i.e. the usual 5-line notation in contrast to the original neumes).
Problem is, one still has to make up a rhythm because this didn't get noted down in the Middle Ages.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I've finally got my hands on Pratchet's novels number 27 till 34 ("The Last Hero", "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents", "Night Watch", "The Wee Free Men", "Monstrous Regiment", "A Hat Full of Sky", "Going Postal" and "Thud!"), so I know I'll be reading them soon.

Anyway, there's been a discussion earlier somewhere around (can't recall where, that's why I'm posting this here), in which order to read Pratchett's novels. Here's a little thing I've received together with the novels:

Discworld Reading Guide 1-25

I'm back..