News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on November 20, 2006, 11:28:21 PM
Quote from: Duke on November 20, 2006, 04:30:18 AM
Oh, just today I adopted a copy of The Great Gatsby. I'll start reading it...eventually.

Duke

Gatsby--- *bleah*

This was the very book where I concluded the "great classics" were often neither great, nor classic.

If a story is not readable, and does not have an actual plot - WHY is it a "classic"?  And who decided it was "great literature" anyway?

I did slog through it, though (and do I mean slog -- *bleah*! worse than Tolstoy. Only one of 2 people in my participatory english lit class to finish, out of 8 people total.  I only went 1/2 the time, and I was the only one who spoke.  I got an "A" in participation, even though I missed 50% of the classes - I suppose because I was the ONLY participant.  Double-*bleah* for dredging up that particular memory-fragment.  :P

After that class, I finally let go the notion that once I started a book, no matter how bad, I must finish it.  Quite a list of "not finished" by now ...  ::) Life's just too short to waste reading a book you don't identify with. At the very least, it should make you think, even if you don't like it much.  Otherwise, give it a miss...  ;D

Well, I started to read it, and I enjoy it quite a bit. Maybe it's just my kind of book.

Duke
"Baldrick, you wouldn't know a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and
danced naked on a harpsicord singing Subtle Plans Are Here Again!"
--Black Adder

The Holy Grail Of Signature Quotes: http://hgosq.blogspot.com/

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Duke on November 21, 2006, 02:56:58 AM
Well, I started to read it, and I enjoy it quite a bit. Maybe it's just my kind of book.

Duke

Obviously you have a more sophisticated "reading palate" than I do.  ;D

I had to read quite a bit of O. Henry to get the taste of Falkenburg out of my mind after 'Gatsby.

I especially liked "The Ransom of Red Chief". But I still remember "The Gift of the Magi" as being my favorite.

(btw, those link to the complete short stories)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Duke

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on November 21, 2006, 06:40:12 AM
Quote from: Duke on November 21, 2006, 02:56:58 AM

Duke

Obviously you have a more sophisticated "reading palate" than I do.  ;D

I got it from my dad! I swear! That guy owns an entire library...downstairs.

Thanks for the links!

Duke
"Baldrick, you wouldn't know a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and
danced naked on a harpsicord singing Subtle Plans Are Here Again!"
--Black Adder

The Holy Grail Of Signature Quotes: http://hgosq.blogspot.com/

goat starer

I am currently reading a protracted thesis / business plan for the business led regeneration of an inner city area.

thrilling! I would prefer to be reading Gatsby  ;)
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Aggie

Night Watch 

and

Ginseng, the Divine Root: The Curious History of the Plant That Captivated the World - David Taylor

Atch... I better finish up Discworld soon. The winter non-fiction binge-itch is coming on.
WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Nice.
I never liked Gatsby. My teacher last year had a thing to dramatic literature, and she dragged us all through it. >.<

Re-reading Belgarath the Sorcesser, and meandering through THe Human Comedy.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Aggie

Finished up Carpe Jugulum, and onto The Wee Free Men, and The Devil's Cup: a History of the World According to Coffee.
WWDDD?

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Quote from: goat starer on November 22, 2006, 12:34:33 PM
I am currently reading a protracted thesis / business plan for the business led regeneration of an inner city area.

thrilling! I would prefer to be reading Gatsby  ;)

I would rather be reading the thesis/business plan than what I'm reading right now.

My current reading is "Law for Professional Engineers" by D.L. Marston and the Professional Engineers Act.  But only for two more days; my exam's on Saturday.   ;D

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

At the moment I'm reading Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody by Michael Gerber.

Quite funny actually.

I'm back..

DeadPoet

I'm reading "Entscheidungen" by my former chancellor. It's quite funny, although he probably didn't intend that...

Swatopluk

Cabbage or Shredder? I am not much into the writings of former German executive heads (though I may make an exception for Otto v. B.).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

goat starer

john Le Carre - Smileys people

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

WWDDD?

goat starer

so thats your job but what are you reading?   ;D

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara