News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Wine!

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), April 10, 2008, 03:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyderm

Here in Old Europe, we don't particularily estimate such Colonial exotic fripperies as turkey-fowl, nor their common and uncouth festivals for the vulgar masses.   :flyingpig:

I knew I was going to like him.... ::)
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Lindorm

Quote from: Pachyderm on November 28, 2009, 05:11:18 PM
Here in Old Europe, we don't particularily estimate such Colonial exotic fripperies as turkey-fowl, nor their common and uncouth festivals for the vulgar masses.   :flyingpig:

I knew I was going to like him.... ::)

You did, didn't you? :mrgreen:

So, Opsanus, how did things go? What wine did you choose, and how did it turn out? Inquiring snobs want to know!  ;)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Opsa

Greetings, inquiring snobs!

We brought the white zin, which disappeared and I have no idea where it went, and a fancy red from a very snobby local winery called Boxwood, which was fantastic!

Speaking of local wineries, we've had another new one open that specializes in Indian food pairings! I cannot wait to try this one. http://www.narmadawinery.com/index.htm

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Yesterday we opened a bottle of Vieux Papes table red wine, which as it's name implies is perfect to accompany meals. Not too alcoholic, not too complicated with an almost sweet aftertaste, and happily quite cheap (about $6 in Whole Foods which isn't precisely known for its low prices). I'll get a few more bottles next time I drive by.  :D
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Sounds good.

I've made a new pal who owns a cafe and does catering. She gave me a couple of surplus bottles of a malbec rose called Parados. It's from Argentina, has a very pretty color, and is not too sweet with an unusual strawberry note. It would probably go well with fresh fruits, cheeses and cakes.

Aggie

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Malbec is a fairly decent wine, the ones I've tried have left me pleasantly surprised (and cheap too  :D).

Opsa

I agree!

Tonight I'm opening a Black Swan Shiraz. It was moderately inexpensive and the description sounded good: black cherry boldness accented with a dash of peppery spice...

Oops- it's dindin time- better open this baby!

Have a lovely weekend!

Cheers!

Sibling DavidH

A 1921 Station d'Épuration Premier Crude.  A scrotty little wine, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption.  A very strong nose and elements of sump oil and vomit with an undercurrent of varnish, grodberries and rodent droppings, giving way to a strong emetic finish.
Its overwhelming aroma balances the acidity (pH 1.3) rather inadequately.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

pieces o nine

I had one last bottle of this stashed in the cupboard, but I think it got too warm at some point. It was more penitential than sinful, if you follow.

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

David and Pieces:

:ROFL: :winebottle: :ROFL: :winebottle: :ROFL: :winebottle: :ROFL: :winebottle: :ROFL: :winebottle: :ROFL: :winebottle:

By the way, the Black Swan was a big hit.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

More cheap French wine. La Vieille Ferme, côtes du ventoux, red. You can tell is cheap because it doesn't have a cork but a screw cap. No too alcoholic, easy going with food (or cheese  ;D), actually quite good for the price, without being exceptional but worth buying.
:partyglass: :partyglass:

Opsa

Someone left a bottle of 2004 Barossa Valley Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvedre blend called "Envoy" by The Colonial Estate here last weekend. (The weather was warm and people wanted to BBQ). We opened it last night for a visiting friend and I thought it was bloody awful! My first impression was that it had corked- the color looked off to me (that telltale cola brown), the smell was too strong and the taste was like port (which I haven't gotten around to appreciating). Mr. Ops liked it (but he likes port). I said he could have it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Bluenose

Hi Ops, I think you're probably right - the wine was corked.  The notes I have seen on this wine indicate a deep ruby/purple tinged colour and an elegant complex perfume of peppery black currant and cherry fruit.  Described as elegant yet substantial.  This does not sound like your description at all and I suspect that too much oxygen may have got to the wine.  It's a bit of a bugga when that happens...
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.