News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Wine!

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), April 10, 2008, 03:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm drinking a slightly less cheap Bordeaux (~U$10) a 2005 Mouton Cadet (Baron Philippe de Rothschild) I found on sale the other day. Better than the Augey, nice, dry and (what I like most) very little alcohol kick.

You can tell I am partial to Bordeaux now ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

*jealous of cheap wine prices down there*

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

You can buy cases and/or bottles on line, but I don't know if there are restrictions crossing the border.  :-\

Aggie

Yep, they'd hit all the taxes and duties on crossing.  Prices up here are tax-based, not cost-based.

And based on swapping booze with Lambi, I suspect the shipping would make it prohibitively expensive anyways.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

2006 Banrock Station Cabernet-Shiraz (Australia). This is a cheap wine ($5 I got it once for $3, bum the weak dollar  :-\) and quite drinkable, nice taste although a bit alcoholic, nothing to complain at that price.

Opsa

I've had that and I agree, it's not bad. The Ozzies make some great Shiraz. I don't know how we manage to get it for such a price. Better snap it up before they realize they haven't added on for transportation.

The Chilean wines are good too, but they have gone up in price around here.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Chileans tend to be a bit too alcoholic for my taste although I pretty much learned to drink wine with them because that was the most affordable (dry) wine available in Colombia a few years ago.
----
Today I'm drinking a 2005 Red Bicyclette Sirah (french) that I got as a bargain for less than $6 (it usually sells for ~$8). Nice, pretty dry, not too alcoholic and wonderful for the price.  :D

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Yesterday I got a Barton Guestier Beaujolais for $5.50. Given that Georges Dubeuf is now ~$8-$10 it's a cheaper alternative (or I just got lucky) and as good as the other. Worked wonderfully with the paté and crackers we had.  :D

Today I'm trying a cheap French: Vin de pays de la cité de Carcassonne, about ~$7-$8 a bottle. For a table wine is actually quite good, not too alcoholic with a slight bitter aftertaste. Works well with the Robusto cheese I'm eating.
--
Given that I'm avoiding splenda for the next month (or forever) I am sacrificing by drinking more wine.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Today I'm drinking a Spaniard: Monastrell Crianza 2003 from Alicante (Casa Alonso) that I got for less than $10 (was it $8?). It has a darker taste (as opposed to the fruity), not bitter but well bodied, it reminds me the wood taste in a good whisky. Recommended.
:partyglass:

Opsa

Has it been aged in oak, perhaps? I like an oaky flavor in my wine.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Who knows, according to reviews in logabottle.com the aftertaste is spicy. I can only say that I liked it very much.

BTW, Aggie, someone claims he found it in Canada for less than C$10.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on July 31, 2008, 12:58:47 AM
BTW, Aggie, someone claims he found it in Canada for less than C$10.

:winebottle: :woohoo:

Gotta check it out, then!

(wonder what province - prices vary)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

As the proverbial cheap b@$tard I am I'm trying a $5-6 Argentinian wine, this is a 2007 Marcus James Cabernet Sauvignon from Mendoza. The other day my brother in law brought a bottle of Merlot from the same vineyards which actually caught my attention, a bit alcoholic but with a very nice body. The Cabernet is softer although less remarkable. Still quite drinkable specially for the price.
:winebottle: :partyglass: 

stellinacadente

Yum, my favorite thing in the world: wine!

I am a huge fan of Columbia Crest Gewurztraminer (WA wine), in Washington state can be found at around 7-10 bucks a bottle: it has that special flowery,berry and spicy aftertaste that makes it perfect to accompany dishes based on mushrooms and cream pastas.

I have recently discovered and shared with The Morph and his lovely wife over dinner a wonderful red produced practically in my backyard: it's called Scarlet and I have never tasted anything like it before... I believe its flavor comes from the barrels where it's aged, because the whole range of wines I have tasted at that winery has the same scent (which I am unable to place   ;D)

I am also a big fan of Porto and Vin Santo (Sicilian wine, quite pricy even in Sicily!!!!)

I have a couple of reds from the Rhone I enjoy quite often even thought they are not exactly the cheapest...

On top of the list of course is His Royal Highness, BAROLO!!!!! YUM!

oh...I almost forgot, there is this "novello" wine they serve on the hills (Castelli Romani) behind Rome in Italy... if you get the sweet kind and start eating porchetta... you'll probably wake up next to your worst nightmare in the morning and not knowing how you got there....

(which reminds me, note to self: buy some more when I go to see daddy next time!)
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

pieces o nine

I grieve as all the ordinary shops I've stopped in here look at me blankly when I ask if they carry mead.

:aargh!:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677