News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What significant things have I done today?

Started by Griffin NoName, April 02, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

Packed the last book in my library.   :'(

Looking at 30 meticulously packed boxes of books and trying to feel sense of accomplishment rather than sense of bereavement.

Spent an hour wandering around apartment, discombobulated, because there is nothing here to read. Will be desperate enough to buy and read cereal boxes in another week.

Thank god for the internets...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling Chatty

Drove 120 miles to Bill's new house.

Fixed dinner for all the folks that were helpin' with the move. (OK, main dish and one side, had him buy salad and dessert.) Being lazy, I did basically the easiest, tastiest pork and rice dish on the planet.

Watched people move stuff in, then went through and pointed out what things could be done to give a more spacious look to what is essentially a very small house. Walked the yard, showed what needed to be cut out/down or back to the extreme (you can't see the house for the trees and overgrown shrubs...) and redesigned the flowerbeds.

Drove home. Only talked to Mom twice today, which was 3 times too many...did NOT drive back here and go immediately to kill her. I deserve a prize.
This sig area under construction.

Bruder Cuzzen

Same ole , same ole . We finally have spring , I've been rearranging plants outside , dug up some ground cover plants from a clients house and trants planted them here . Was a bit rushed so I left a few big divots (damned ground hogs) . Also bought some forced easter lilies for the instant color ( last seasons lilies aren't due to flower for another month.

Had to give the forty year old teenager notice . Loathed to do it though , but he is 8 months behind .

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

Had a 'come to Jesus meetin' with some of somebody else's doctors, and informed them that if their patient died without the spousal equivalent/medical power of attorney being cognizant that it WOULD be soon, very soon, that I personally will rip their heads off and go bowling on the freeway with them.

THEY get paid the big bucks, they can do their damn job...

Aggie

WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Fixed a rooftop A/C for a local McD's.  This way, the patrons can eat their little chlorestral-sticks in the relative comfort of low humidity, cool air.

What was wrong, was one of 2 fans that suck air across the cooling fins, had quit.

Normally, I'd have just tried a new capacitor-- that is usually what fails. 

But, a stick through the grille, attempting to spin the motor revealed it was starting to seize up.   A motor ought to rotate freely, and should free-wheel at least 1 full turn, if you *twack* the fan blades with a screwdriver handle.  This little beauty would turn, but as soon as I quit pushing-- stopped immediately.  Not good.

I had to go and fetch a new motor-- was a Lennox, so I needed one of theirs.  There's a factory plug on the side, makes changing it pretty easy, really.  In and out (once I had the new motor-- across town, natch) in about 15 minutes.

Then I spent 2 hours cleaning all 3 rooftop units-- the coils had developed a nasty case of "dryer lint fuzz".  Blocks the airflow, reduces the efficiency-- translates to much higher electricity use for a given cooling factor.  You simply cannot have the coils too clean, but any dirt will translate to more $$ out-of-pocket.

Anyway, handed in the bill.  High, but the motor cost them $175, which was the better half of the bill.

Not bad for a days work.   

Except I hate their stupid ladder-- too straight.   Oh well, beats dragging my ladder off the truck.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

beagle

Hey, you get to do on a big scale what I spent decades doing on titchy fans in PCs and servers.

I've got to ask this though;  How can a ladder be too straight? Too flimsy, rusty, rotten, heavy I can follow, but too straight? Or is it a vertigo inducing bolted-to-the-wall type?

The angels have the phone box

Opsa

Saved a wren just now.

I was here at the computer when the cat came in with something in it's mouth. I caught her and carried her to the front door, put her outside and said "spit it out" but she had dropped it! I looked back and in the doorway was a little stunned wren.

I picked it up with one hand, shooed kitty back in with my foot and took my socks off with the other hand so I could walk out into the muddy yard. I held the pretty little brown bird in my open hand. I looked at it for injuries, but could only see a messed up place on it's feathers. I stroked its head and sang it a little song. I walked out into the yard, looking for a place to set it where it might recover in peace and safety. It kept looking at me and blinking like it was going to pass out. Then suddenly it flew off into a pine tree and sat there looking at me.  I turned around and walked away slowly so it could see I wasn't going to chase it.

I went back out the other door and heard a wren song. I'd like to think it was the little bird. Beautiful song.

Griffin NoName

Took my car for servicing and a new spare tyre. I wish I could have a new spare tyre.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: beagle on April 22, 2008, 08:47:37 PM
Hey, you get to do on a big scale what I spent decades doing on titchy fans in PCs and servers.

I've got to ask this though;  How can a ladder be too straight? Too flimsy, rusty, rotten, heavy I can follow, but too straight? Or is it a vertigo inducing bolted-to-the-wall type?

:thumbsup:  That, and too-wide spacing of the tiny cross-section rungs.  Designed for a robot, really-- not someone with meat-hands.  (my feet are protected by steel-shank boots, which provide support)

<3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   <3   

Quote from: Opsanus tau on April 22, 2008, 09:18:47 PM
......  I'd like to think it was the little bird. Beautiful song.

*sniff*  That's a moving moment, really.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Chatty

Slept, hurt, talked with hospice and chaplains...

To bed soon, I hope.

Griffin NoName

Clocked up another two hours client work. (10 hours left to do now.)

Paid a small fortune to the garage for sorting my car out.

Had a violent migraine.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

Dan and I replaced the thermostat on the van. I Googled the location in the cooling system, he picked it up at the parts store, we both did the work, since Chrysler thinks all mechanics have an extra hand... ::) ::) ::) Just now, we replaced the gasket as well.

Grocery shopped for Mom, developed a killer tension headache. (Mom related, imagine that...)

Started prep for testing tomorrow and Monday. :puke:

They  :pokestick: :pokestick: :pokestick: and I just wanna  :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe: :axe:

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host