News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What significant things have I done today?

Started by Griffin NoName, April 02, 2008, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

The  Flip Video doesn't have any functions at all. It's just point and shoot and just works. Doesn't have a flash. Shoots fine in poor light or good light.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

OK, here is the first video

[youtube=425,350]F3JQ5MADaDQ[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3JQ5MADaDQ

If you ask me, I sound like an idiot and/or a kid playing reporter

Edit: And here is the second one
(I will not upload another one preceding this  where nothing much happens but maybe a later one from the other side of the river)

[youtube=425,350]7NN0HWW06O8[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN0HWW06O8
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 07, 2014, 08:24:32 AM
If you ask me, I sound like an idiot and/or a kid playing reporter

Here is a river. Or canal. In the river - or canal - there are some boats. Can you see the people on the boats, children?

You sound fine, given there's not a lot of action.

Very clear shooting! :)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I agree that you sound fine.

Were they rowing with or against the current?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

In theory with the current but there is essentially none. The Spree river has been observed to flow backwards in hot summers (that is not a joke but a result of very peculiar geographical conditions up-river). To keep up shipping all year long the river is also controlled by several locks otherwise it would get too shallow.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Yesterday I learned how to use a jackhammer for the first time, and did a little more work this morning.

For a guy with no job, I sure get called in to work a lot. ::)
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Presumably it helps with the finances?

I went out with my cousin for a pub meal today and now I am feeling very ill (totally predictable, it's what happens, no alcohol involved). CFS means always paying the price for attempting to do nice things (or I suppose nasty ones like hospital visits). Because there's obviously a pull to do nice things, one does every so often, but it's not really advised.
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

It's worth it to get out and have some face-to-face time with people you care about.  It's presumably tougher feeling especially ill when a 'normal' day doesn't really involve feeling totally well, but I suppose it can be comparable to a hangover.  I've been off the hooch since Halloween, but have learned as I've gotten older that a night of drinking is only feasible if I am prepared for the following day to be more-or-less a writeoff. If I'm up until the wee hours of the morning, I can't count on wanting to get out of bed or leave the house for most of the next day. It can be worth it every so often, but not really advised.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 25, 2014, 09:06:44 PM
Presumably it helps with the finances?

Ayuh, month-to-month cash flow is not a worry, but the overall financial picture demands constant input. I also found out today that I'm getting a slightly larger-than-expected payout for the fencing job I did earlier this month, which helps (also got offered the opportunity an electrical apprenticeship out of that, based on work ethic and attitude).  I'm aiming for a potential dream job (in terms of job satisfaction, not pay) in the new year, and would rather hold out for that than take on full-time work in a less desirable job.  So, for the moment I'm just going to be a work slut and have casual short-term or ongoing occasional encounters with a variety of employers, instead of making a commitment. I like being in the position where I more or less have my schedule open and can turn down offered shifts if I have an important previous commitment.  The juxtaposition of doing both blue-collar and pink-collar work has a certain satisfaction, as well.

(I don't take this approach to my romantic life, but that's looking rosy at the moment, too...  moved on from my online dating 'training wheels' phase and met someone the old-fashioned way).
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

One of the advantages I found in being a casual worker was I didn't get drawn into office politics.

Even my fantasy romantic life is non-existant!!
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

:flyingpig:Finished cutting up a pig for buddy today (buddy is in Sweden so he handed me full control); the pork odyssey started on Sunday when the pig was slaughtered and I went to grab the head and caul fat (I skinned out the head and took the jowls off at the farm).  The first run at the cut and wrap was a little shaky yesterday, as I haven't butchered a pig before and it took a while to figure out the cuts.  Today was smoother. It was also a little warmer today; we were butchering outdoors under cover, so it was a little easier on the fingers.  I kept a charcoal brazier going for warmth, and for grilling a few snacks.  ;)

I got a 10% cut of the meat and lard, which I'll share with the friend who helped me cut and wrap...  about 8 lbs of meat, 1-2 lbs bone and 3.5 lbs of freakin' awesome leaf lard (plus the head meat).  I'm going to render the lard and give it away as gifts. The meat doesn't even pay the gas money, let alone my time, but was worth the experience.  I'm probably going to raise my own pig next year, and possibly a lamb and/or a couple of geese.

We also saw another pig killed today, so pretty much got the full hoof-to-table experience.  .22 to the head to stun, followed by a scimitar stick to the aorta, so it was over pretty quick.
:flyingpig:
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm sure the pig was ethically raised and humanely put down, but since I became [mostly] vegetarian I wouldn't be able to do that either. I mentally considered if I could get involved in wild hog hunting (those are environmentally problematic in several places) but I can't see my self pulling the trigger, much less disassembling the animal.

Heck, the last two BBQs I did the grilling and felt some guilt dealing with the meat regardless of how good it was.  :-\

Aggie

I'd met this pig at some point, and knew that it had a good life.

My stance on eating meat is that if you choose to do so, you should be willing to face up to the fact that you're eating an animal*.  Therefore, being directly involved in the process for at least some of the meat I eat is important.  I'd like to start raising animals for meat in order to get free of factory farmed meats.

*including its face.  :o
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If I had space I would consider having a gen or two for the eggs and theoretically for the meat once the cycle is over but I still would have trouble killing the animal. I imagine that forced to it I would but it still bothers me.

I agree with you on the face of the animal, but that is what makes it difficult to kill it...  :-\

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host