News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

In the Wild I go....

Started by stellinacadente, April 22, 2010, 10:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stellinacadente

Sooo... instead of sitting here contemplating the volcanic ash mess, I have decided to hop on my hiking boots and explore the meadows close to my dad's house...

one good thing about this country is that there still are wild patches close to home that are left alone to grow...

I was kinda curious as to what I would find and if I would be able to recognized any of the plants I am in tune with to my delight I have found a very large patch of Mugworth and its nice brother Absenthium...

Now I am debating if I should collect some or not...

I am planning to to return to the meadow tomorrow and test my wild medicinal herb finding skills some more....

OH I LOVE SPRING!!!!
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Aggie

Oooh, mugwort makes good soup and other goodies, if it's the herb I'm thinking of.

I'm eagerly awaiting asparagus season, which should actually be happening pretty soon (if I get back to town sometime in May ::)).

I haven't found a decent patch of stinging nettles yet, but the season should be in full swing out here (it's nearly over in BC).
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

I have a tiny vial of mugwort essential oil; how fun to wander fields finding patches of interesting herbs. Can you post some pics of the landscape you're hiking in?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

Ooh! My friend Sharon and I picked asparagus last week. I took it right home and steamed it- HEAVEN! Even without butter or anything.

What fun, Stelli, to go out in search of friendly plants.

Today I visited a friend who has a hoop house where she grows culinary herbs and vegetables, and there in the corner was a big stand of comfrey. It was beautiful!

stellinacadente

Found mugwort and some cinquefoils...

also managed to find a plant of Rue...which I promptly planted in my father's garden...

This picture is from my Melissa Officinalis (Lemon Balm) of last year... it grew to an awesome 60 cm (ahemmm 2 ft???) and it is now sitting in a beautiful jar dried for winter use...

I am lost without my herbs :)

Pisces... I will post pics... as soon as I will be able to go out again... it is now pouring! sigh sigh sob sob
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Opsa

No cry... rain good for plants!  :pat:

stellinacadente

Quote from: Opsanus tau on April 24, 2010, 03:45:19 PM
No cry... rain good for plants!  :pat:

Yes! and I do so love going in the fields under a drizzle... unfortunately I don't have my gear with me...

but tomorrow is the day! :)

Opsa

It's raining here today and I've been out squishing about in me bare feets. Lotsa happy little sprouts sprouting everywhere.