News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Smart Phones

Started by Griffin NoName, January 05, 2013, 05:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

I set it to manual update immediately I got the phone. I hate automatic updates on every platform I have.

I'm Android 4.0.4.

Does disabling actually free up enough space?

I'm still wondering where the apps are installed - the ones where they give the option to "move" to internal storage - from where????
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The thing with the cards and memory can be confusing because how the internal memory has been mounted may change and depending on your version of Android you may or not move apps to the SD. From versions 2 - 3 you were able to move to SD but some versions of 4 don't allow it.

A phone has standard RAM, internal memory, and potentially when extra memory is added, it will show up as sdcard even if it really isn't the SD on the phone (which would show up as sdcard2 or extsdcard).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Yes, but what I am puzzled by is when you move an app to "internal storage" where has it come from?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

From the other memory, again the main memory and extra are frequently separated. Think that they say that your phone has, say 4GB of memory, that will be split into 1GB for internal memory and 3GB that is considered an SD or a different mount. Because internal is usually less you don't want the programs on internal memory.

As confusing as all of the above may sound, if you go to settings|storage, you should be able to see each memory section and it's usage.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Interesting I'd forgotten that. I have quite a chunk of phone memory left available, so why it is complaining no space for update is odd. and annoying.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 05, 2013, 03:21:51 PM
Interesting I'd forgotten that. I have quite a chunk of phone memory left available, so why it is complaining no space for update is odd. and annoying.

If you uninstall all the "updates" for apps you don't use, then disable them?  That does free up memory-- each app uses memory for various things, and disabling them eliminates that behavior.

Before you disable them?  Under the app manager, delete any cache/data first.  Then disable the unwanted app.

That can free up some memory, surprisingly.  It also makes start up a wee bit faster, as there are that many fewer apps that can be preloaded. 
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

I've just done something stupid. I've got weird battery stuff going on and one app seemed to be draining the battery.

I decided to disable it.

I uninstalled the "updates" but when all uninstalled there was no disable option, only an uninstall option.

I thought, what the hell, I need to find out if this app is a problem or not, so I hit "uninstall".

A message came up saying "this app must only be re-installed from the factory installed version".

Very stupidly before I'd had time to think I hit "yes, uninstall".

Now I've discovered the app wasn't the problem. The weird battery stuff is still the same (I'll come on to that later).

That's the back story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do I re-install an app from the factory version? Where/how can I find it?  The app is no longer listed in "All apps".

I though I could at worst have to do a complete factory reset, but I've discovered that only affects data, doesn't re-innstall apps.

I am kicking myself.

?????????

( I have googled and googled and found precisely zero on this. Also checked out Sony support - it's an xperia - zilch. Also posted question on android forums. )
Psychic Hotline Host

Perchance, do you remember the exact name of the former app?  If so, XDA forms likely has a copy, or would be happy to post one for you.   Here's a linky:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/

The people who play there are really into upgrades, customization, etc, and I would be surprised if there wasn't a thread devoted to your exact model and make of smart phone.

At worst, you could post a query there, and someone will likely come along and help. 

That's where I learned how to root my previous 3 smart phones, by the way.  I haven't rooted my current one... yet.  (Samsung Galaxy 3)

Griffin NoName

Thanks Bob. Will try there. They don't have my phone but I can post in the Questions and Answers forum. My phone is not rooted as it invalidates the warranty.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

An AHA! moment.

I discovered the app on my Google Play "All" Apps showing as disabled so have just been able to re-enable it.

FFS!  How stupid.

So if you find a pre-installed app appears to have totally disappeared from your phone - go to Google Play.

Lots of apps only show "uninstall" as opposed to "disable", which is irritating when needing to test and check stuff. -- see Battery below.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

Battery Issue.

Amount % left is fine, appears to show right amount. Then starts going down too fast, at least if I have wifi on.

But days/hours/mins/secs shows expected time sometimes, but then dives right down, goes up again if I re-boot the phone. I have two different battery apps and sometimes they show the same amount left and sometimes they don't. It's completely erratic. I've got Battery Doctor which has optimised and says all healthy.

I've been checking for apps draining but don't appear to be any that do.

Am about to check WakeLock.

This has only started in the last week, and the week before that I had BT Infinity installed (fast fibre optics broadband). So wary it might be that, but other devices don't seem bothered about their batteries or broadband times, and I don't think it started right away after that (can't be sure as I was slow to realise I was having to charge it every day) - it always charged up to nearly 6 days before, and would actually last me around 4 days min. Also, some app updates done since then as well, so could be one of those has done some stupid change.

It could just be I need a new battery and even when it says it's 100% and "healthy" it's meaningless? I can't find an app which will tell you if your battery won't take a good charge any more - no way of really telling whether the phone etc is the culprit or the battery itself.

Fed up and don't want to fork out on a new battery if that is not the problem.
Psychic Hotline Host

I have a long-standing habit of putting mine on the charger beside my bed, when I lay down to sleep.  It's handy for the time (it lights itself), and if there's an emergency...

... so I really don't know how many days it'd last on it's own.  Not many, I suspect-- Samsung is not known for long battery.   In fact, when I first got it, I had left several things default, and it wouldn't last the day.  I even purchased a humongous external battery to top-up at lunch...

... but playing with the settings, mainly (I suspect), setting the time-out to 30 seconds on the screen, has fixed it.  It's rarely below 50% by the time I'm home for the day, and put it up.

Batteries on smart phones are a serious Achillies' problem.   There are some "fixes", but most involve replacing the back with a huge bump-out back, and a doubled battery pack.  Pass.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on September 27, 2013, 12:28:14 AM
Batteries on smart phones are a serious Achillies' problem.   There are some "fixes", but most involve replacing the back with a huge bump-out back, and a doubled battery pack.  Pass.

;D the thought of luggging around a 1980's type "mobile" phone due to battery packs does NOT appeal.

The reason I think I have a problem is that there wasn't a problem before........ LoL!
Psychic Hotline Host

;D

In truth, some of the "doubled" batteries only add a little to the overall thickness-- my first Android had a double-battery, but the whole phone wasn't that big (as these go) and I didn't mind.  Moreover, it still fit into a ballistic canvas case on my belt. 

And there are some extra capacity batteries that fit within the original confines of the phone.   Your battery could have failed prematurely-- these things are notoriously finicky beasts-- a barely controlled explosion waiting for just the right mix.   ::)

If you do opt for a replacement battery pack, I would recommend going with a very respectable brand-- pay close attention to the reviews (aka Amazon).  Not all batteries are made under the same quality control.   Many 3rd party el-cheapos fail within weeks or less.   

Fortunately, the fail for the majority of these, is to simply refuse to charge after being discharged.   A welcome change from not that long ago, when a failed LiIon battery could mean super-hot temperatures to the point of literal melt-down.   Or worse--fires.   

The safety people have finally figured that out, at least--and even the cheapest uses sensitive temperature measurement safeties.   

And that is, I suspect, why the el-cheapo ones fail:  the el-cheapo temp sensors quit working, and the charging circuitry (in the phone) refuse to charge the thing.   

A note about cases:   For me, that's a deal-breaker:  if I cannot put it handy, on my belt, at my left side (towards the front, so it doesn't strike things as I go past), then I don't want it.

My current phone is the largest ever, but I found a combination of protective cover and snap-fit holster (Otterbox) that I can live with.  In many ways, it's superior protection than my traditional ballistic nylon cases.  Took a modest getting used to, though.  The protective cover (of which I've used similar in the past) doesn't add much to the phone's dimensions, but adds immense protection.  And it's not slick-- a plus. 

I really despise CrApple for doing that to us-- super-slick phones may photograph well, but they are slippery and very droppable as a result.  Whoever thought super-slick was a good idea, in a device you are supposed to hold, is a moron. 

Form must follow function.  (one reason why I also despise high heels on anyone, I suppose... serves no purpose apart from appearance, but literally damages the spine, the feet, the ankles.   ...meh)

Griffin NoName

The only battery I can find on Amazon is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-replaced-Genuine-cellePhone-ScreenCleaner/dp/B005J8XXQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1380243469&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+battery+miro

Otherwise all the batteries I found come from dodgy looking battery sites.

I scoured Sony for a genuine one, but they don't sell them. I don't know how to get a gernuine one.

NB the amazon one is not "genuine", it is the screen cleaner that iis "genuine" whatever that means as if one could have a faulty screen cleaner
Psychic Hotline Host