News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Boris finds out who he is

Started by Griffin NoName, August 21, 2008, 02:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Who Do You Think You Are?   BBC1 - got hooked last series.

Boris's turn tonight. I won't give the game away in case anyone has recorded it to watch later.

But a couple of gems :

• Genes are democratic

• Who's got their tits in the ringer?

Hope that doesn't give anything away ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

SPOILER WARNING - LOOK AWAY NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE RESULT

Boris's Tory score

Foreign                                                  -6
Eccentric family                                         +3
With silver coffee pot                                   +1
And very silly name                                      +1
Unmarried pregnant "actress" in ancestors            -10000
...Deadbeat dad was an unemployed foreigner          -10000
...and Prince of Germany                             +50000
                                                    ----------
Overall                                               29999
                                                    ----------

Not a premier league score but good enough to be mayor of somewhere insignificant.

The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

What was wrong with ancestors...... King of England ? From your scoring system, I have to assume it rates zero.

<scratches head>
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

I missed the last five minutes and the denouement. He'd got as far as a German prince but not beyond.  At that point he was quite chuffed one of his ancestors had been "nobilitated" but was worried about how Henley voters would react to finding out he was (horror) mainly foreign. Seeing as most of them are international bankers I would have thought he was in the clear as long as no family link to Marx was proved.  He was quite chuffed that his ancestors were (for the times) a bit racy.
(The scoring system wasn't intended to be taken *too* seriously, just a reflection of the *nasty party* media image of Tory vaues - as espoused by Norm).

Griffin NoName

Once you find a German Prince, the throne of England is bound to appear !

I assumed the scoring system was based on a secret document held at Kew and available only to genuine Tories ;) ;) ;)  I deduced zero for thrones as otherwise it would have affected the final score

The only thing I have to challenge is the make up of the voters of Henley consisting of international bankers, a topic about which I happen to know quite a bit.  :mrgreen:

As TV entertainment, Boris has been the most fun so far. Springer looks promising, having been born in East Finchley tube station.
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 22, 2008, 01:12:40 PM
The only thing I have to challenge is the make up of the voters of Henley consisting of international bankers, a topic about which I happen to know quite a bit.  :mrgreen:

I always thought Henley (where Invesco Perpetual hang out) was our equivalent of Greenwich, Connecticut; A place full of those financiers who get nervous in big cities.  There might be one or two lawyers and advertising executives to leaven the mix, I suppose.

As TV entertainment, Boris has been the most fun so far.

That's Boris's secret political weapon; people always feel happier after having seen him . Unlike Ken or Gordon where audiences have been known to gnaw their own arms off.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on August 23, 2008, 11:19:25 PM
As TV entertainment, Boris has been the most fun so far.

That's Boris's secret political weapon; people always feel happier after having seen him . [/quote]

I'm sure the voters know happiness is irrelevant  ;D

My sample survey of Henley voters reveals:

IT consultants 4
Engineers 1
Architects 3
Teachers 2
Counsellor 1
Palaeontologist 1
University Admininstrator 1
Alternative/Complementary Practitioner 1
Ex Councillors several
Ex Mayors 1+
People with the same name as me (but not me and I don't live there just to be clear about that) 1
Unknown: several but not including
          Invesco Perpetual employees
          Financiers
          Lawyers
          Advertising executives

Or....maybe I just know the wrong people. Or the others are all in the control group.

I deduce the word "professionals" may be more accurate ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

I.P. used to be the biggest employer, but that role may have been taken over by Boris's Central Office Tory minders until he relocated to the smoke.