News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

bin Laden DEAD!

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, May 02, 2011, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote(CNN) -- The mastermind of the worst terrorist attack on American soil is dead, U.S. President Barack Obama announced late Sunday night, almost 10 years after the attacks that killed more than 3,000 people.

Osama bin Laden -- the longtime leader of al Qaeda -- was killed by U.S. forces in a mansion outside the Pakistani capital of Islamabad along with other family members, a senior U.S. official told CNN.

U.S. officials have taken custody of bin Laden's body, Obama said. No Americans were harmed in the operation, he added.

Up-to-the-minute updates on bin Laden | President's statement

U.S. diplomatic facilities around the world were placed on high alert following the announcement of bin Laden's death, a senior U.S. official said, and the U.S. State Department should be sending out a new "worldwide caution" for Americans shortly. Some fear al Qaeda supporters may try to retaliate against U.S. citizens or U.S. institutions.

Hundreds of people arrived at the White House late Sunday night and chanted, "USA! USA!" They then chanted, "Hey, hey, goodbye!" in reference to the demise of bin Laden and then spontaneously sang the national anthem.

Osama bin Laden, the face of terror

"This welcome news is a credit to our intelligence efforts and brings to justice the architect of the attacks on our country that killed nearly 3,000 people on September 11, 2001," said Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, the ranking Republican on the Homeland Security Committee, in a statement issued Sunday night.

The news brought some relief to the grieving family members of those killed on 9/11.

Celebrations in front of the White House Video

"This is important news for us, and for the world. It cannot ease our pain, or bring back our loved ones," Gordon Felt, president of Families of Flight 93, said in a statement. "It does bring a measure of comfort that the mastermind of the September 11th tragedy and the face of global terror can no longer spread his evil."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/bin.laden.dead/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Up to the minute here
I'm really happy for the 9/11 families right now, more than anything. I know a woman who lost four members and she's ecstatic right now.

Prediction tiem!

A rash of suicide attacks in Afghanistan, in which a few Americans and a lot of locals will die. No real turmoil in Pakistan. Obama's numbers will jump and then when people start calling for us to withdraw, it won't happen and his rating will drop. Increased likelihood of a Repug president next time. Repugs in general will worship Bush for starting this (and the fool's errand that is Iraq). al Qeada will not actually be affected, or if they are, it will be because they get more volunteers. bin Laden was quite ill (iirc), so I don't think he was much involved with the major stuff anymore. And it's the many headed hydra thing, too. Someone will step into his shoes.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In general I agree on everything but one point: people in Pakistan will be angrier than ever about this (they were already quite angry).

Let the games begin.  ::)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I am very cynical about how the opposition at home will react.
Words/Slogans like PR stunt, fake, politicization, distraction come to mind.
They are probably working overtime at how they can present this as further 'proof' that Obama is a total failure.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

For now they're trying to dissociate Obama from it. I doubt it'll be very successful.

Swatopluk

I even suspect that it could breathe more undead life into the Truther movement too.
Why was Osama not captured alive? He knew too much!

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

That (take) sounds totally plausible, but please don't give them any more ideas (they may be reading).

Swatopluk

Aphos

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 02, 2011, 02:27:50 PM
I am very cynical about how the opposition at home will react.
Words/Slogans like PR stunt, fake, politicization, distraction come to mind.
They are probably working overtime at how they can present this as further 'proof' that Obama is a total failure.

On another forum, I have already encountered a couple of right-wingnuts that are claiming its all a fake set up by Obama.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

ivor

Don't send a Repugnican to do a man's job... :mrgreen:

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on May 02, 2011, 02:17:53 PM
In general I agree on everything but one point: people in Pakistan will be angrier than ever about this (they were already quite angry).

Let the games begin.  ::)
Ok, you're right. Pakistan's come out in support and said they partnered with us to get shit done. That's not going to go over well.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

There will be reprisals.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I suppose I'm the odd man out, but I was, for the most part, simply sickened by the reaction of the newsies and the interviewed sheep late last night.

Obama's speech drew the proper somber tone, I thought-- and I appreciated that he re-emphasized the US is >>not<< at war with Islam.

Not that it will do any good-- the sickening dancing in the streets was more than I could stand, and I eventually turned the TV off.

Remember the rhetoric and hate-speech (in the US), at the alleged dancing of the islamic fundamentalists, after 9/11?  Remember the feigned indignation by all the talking-heads?

But, it's apparently just peachy-keen, when >>we<< kill someone we hated, to go dance like it's christmas morning...

*meh*

Don't get me wrong:  I'm not saying Laden was a nice guy, or was anything other than a complete and utter terrorist.

And death is probably better for everyone concerned, than incarceration where he could continue to be a rallying figure to the fundie-terrorists.

But you step on a cockroach-- you don't celebrate with song-and-dance when you end it's existence.

The celebration of the death of another human being, is what terrorists frequently do.

I think we ought to take the higher moral ground, here...

... but what the hell do I know?   I also think lying is one of the worst things imaginable, so I really don't understand politics very much, I suppose.

*sigh*

With any luck, Obama can milk this "victory" for all it's worth, and get some much-needed reforms through the do-nothing congress...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

ivor

People celebrated in the streets when the World Trade Center was attacked. We celebrated one guy getting smoked.  I think action taken was just and the reaction totally appropriate.  The worst thing that could have happened is that he died of old age.  That would have meant "God" was on his side.  They will probably still claim it but there'll be some internal doubt which is fine.

Swatopluk

Will bin Laden become the Hidden Infame in Salafi belief ;)

Bob is right that Obama hit the appropriate, i.e. not gloating, tone but that very fact annoys the Right to no end.
They think he should be the Gloater-in-chief on this and see it (see my link above) as further proof that he is actually with the terrorists.

Aphos

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 03, 2011, 08:48:10 AM
Will bin Laden become the Hidden Infame in Salafi belief ;)

Bob is right that Obama hit the appropriate, i.e. not gloating, tone but that very fact annoys the Right to no end.
They think he should be the Gloater-in-chief on this and see it (see my link above) as further proof that he is actually with the terrorists.

I agree.  I regret the taking of a human life, but at the same time I don't see how else Bin Laden could have been brought to justice.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--