News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Getting RID of the Crawler Search Engine

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, September 15, 2010, 09:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

So, I have done every single thing I can think of to get rid of the fucking thing.  I have uninstalled the program, I have uninstalled spyware terminator, I have uninstalled firefox, I have made google my default search engine three separate times, I have removed crawler from the search engine list, and IT STILL USES IT WHEN I SEARCH USING THE URL BAR. It's not in my toolbar menu, it's absolutely no where I can find, or I would have removed it already.

:explode:

Help?
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

ivor

I think that your service provider can intercept that kind of stuff and force whatever search on you they want if your browser doesn't do it for you.  If you use google chrome it defaults to google.  I get yahoo when I search in IE 8 and Firefox.  Is that what you mean?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In Firefox the addons usually are the culprits of that kind of stuff, if you look under Tools|Add-ons and find something that shouldn't be there it might be it. If it affects your other browsers there are two options, one is what MB says, that is, your ISP is forcing it to you, which perhaps is worth a complaint with the FCC.

The other is that you have something nasty in your system, to which I would suggest download this:

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Run and post the results. Perhaps we can give you some hints of things that shouldn't be there in the first place.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

If you've uninstalled Firefox, it still has your profile stuff sitting around.

Open windoze explorer (Not! I.E.) and go digging around under "Documents and Settings" for anything labeled "Firefox" and/or "Mozilla".

If you're using Thunderbird for E-mail, take care to not remove that.

What you're looking for is the profile under the Firefox application data.  Under that, is the add-ons folder, which can have persistent effects as mentioned by MB.

There may be something in your registry that is messed up as well, but that's a whole 'nother country.

Oh! I failed to say what to do:  delete those offending, orphaned folders...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

I looked in the add-on folder first, before I went through all that BS in hopes of getting rid of it. I've downloaded hijackthis, and I'll post the results soon. Thanks, guys. :)
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

ivor

That was my "Rain-Man" moment of the day.  Back to being a r-tard.

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous