News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

That's It! No More!

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, May 20, 2010, 01:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

A bit of background: I've been unemployed since October and I thought I had picked up a little bit of a gig from my high school debate coach. She's consistently disappointed and angered me (not telling me when practice was canceled on multiple occasions (it's a two-mile bike ride out there), ignoring my texts/emails*, never treating me professionally, etc.) and taken advantage of my willingness to help, but there was the promise of money, so I stuck around.

I was promised $250 minimum. Then it dropped to $200 because of the money problems the district was having (that school, being poor, is getting the short end of the stick) and I was ok with that, sort of - if there's nothing she can do, why get mad? Then there was the garage sale to raise the amount for myself and the other girl working for her. I got my payment today - $200 square. I know $80 was made from that sale - she told me that, anyway. Where's my $40? It's not a lot, but I have no money. Every little bit helps and I more than earned my keep (three 12 hour days, one 18 hour day, and 2.5 hour days twice a week from October to about February - works out to about two grand, assuming $8/hour).

Oh yes, and then she doesn't need me next year ("after much deliberation" my foot - I was never an employee in her eyes and I doubt it was very hard all things considered). I'm fairly sure she picked someone else for the second position and I will wheedle the answer out of the person I think it is. If she had given me a straight answer, I wouldn't be nearly so pissed. She asked me to keep in touch, too. Once I get a letter of rec out of her in the fall for school applications - which I will guilt her into if I have to - I'm dropping all contact with her because this is the last straw. She's flaky, unprofessional, disorganized, inconsiderate, and I really don't want to deal with it anymore. I should have known better to begin with - I've known her seven years and none of this is new, so I suppose it's my own fool fault for accepting the offer.

*she jumps to answer texts and emails from other former students and yet, would rarely answer mine. That should have been a freakin' clue.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Aggie

WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm sorry to hear that, some people have this odd idea that fooling someone with empty promises once will work afterwards, which sort of works if the pool of victims is large enough (although sooner or later the reputation is vox populi). If you are forced to work for that kind of people you have to get serious, that is contractually serious, in fact any person offering you a verbal contract should be considered suspect.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

I had it in writing, in an email she sent me and I was prepared to remind her of the fact if push came to shove, though the $250 was a verbal agreement.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Where as it's true that mean people suck....

... I think that well intentioned, but never-delivering people are much worse-- we expect meanness from mean people...

<bleah>
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

That's bad all around, Scrib.   :(
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on May 20, 2010, 03:44:39 AM
I had it in writing, in an email she sent me and I was prepared to remind her of the fact if push came to shove, though the $250 was a verbal agreement.
I'm afraid an email is not a contract, it proves intentions but nothing more. Besides, even if verbal contracts are legal in CA (I don't know) you can't take her to a small claims court when the filing is likely more than the $50 owed. When you have a piece of paper signed by both parts, -unless you agree to do something illegal- the consequences are more readily apparent, therefore it is much less likely to be broken.

That's not to say that your verbal agreement couldn't be seen as volunteer work (and what you are getting is from the goodness of her heart) and that the reason for paying less isn't "justified" (you are a volunteer, remember?).

Bottom line, if you expect to be paid ask for a contract, if there isn't one you are considered a volunteer and no money is owed to you, nor should you expect any.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Doesn't matter. After I get my letter of rec, I ain't seeing her again.

Griffin NoName

Nasty. Leaves a bitter taste. You'll be well out of it.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand