News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Ashes and Snow

Started by pieces o nine, May 03, 2012, 03:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

Ashes and Snow
QuoteGregory Colbert's Ashes and Snow is an ongoing project that weaves together photographic works, 35mm films, art installations and a novel in letters. With profound patience and an enduring commitment to the expressive and artistic nature of animals, he has captured extraordinary interactions between humans and animals.

His 21st-century bestiary includes totemic species from around the world. Since he began creating his singular work of Ashes and Snow in 1992, Colbert has undertaken photographic and filming expeditions to locations such as India, Egypt, Burma, Tonga, Sri Lanka, Namibia, Kenya, Antarctica, the Azores, and Borneo.

These are really lovely B&W photographs. The 'enhanced experience' has some sound, some flash graphics, and a more serendipitous approach to viewing the images. The 'basic experience' is more prosaic approach, like viewing a conventional portfolio. Both are quite nice. I tried to choose a favorite image, but I love them all. Here's a taste:

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

They are indeed lovely, but what's wrong with colour these days?  All these trendy photographers think that monochrome (or near monochrome) adds something.  IMO that's the wrong way about.

Roland Deschain

Nice pictures. It's the fashion, David. It doesn't always work, and is overused much, but here it works. I'm loving the second two especially.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Opsa

One thing about b/w photography is that it will unify a set of photos, and color may sometimes distract from the composition. I will admit I am a bit of a snob on the subject because I used to work for b/w photographers many years ago and heard all the propaganda on a daily basis.

Slightly off topic: I saw "Persepolis" last night, which is mostly in black and white, and it was visually stunning. (It was also emotionally stunning.)

These are cool photographs!