News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Ontario Election - Oct. 10!

Started by Sibling Lambicus the Toluous, October 09, 2007, 02:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's your prediction for the Ontario election this Wednesday?

Liberal majority
1 (33.3%)
Liberal minority
0 (0%)
Conservative majority
0 (0%)
Conservative minority
1 (33.3%)
Upset win by a coalition of the Marxist-Leninists and the Marijuana Party!
1 (33.3%)
Something else... describe below
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: October 11, 2007, 02:17:21 PM

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

I know you're all following the Ontario provincial election with baited breath (right?   ;) )... anyone want to make some predictions before the results come in tomorrow night?

Does your prediction for who you think will win match who you want to win?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Oh, there are greens, but seeing as how they have never won a single seat in Ontario and are running between 6% and 12% in the polls (which is still a HUGE jump from the <4% that they got until recently), I don't hold out much hope for them forming a government.

Realistically, I hope that they win a seat or two, and that they get invited to the leader's debate next time (they were barred this year, thanks to a definition of "major party" that gets continually change to exclude the Greens whenever they meet the old requirement).

Sibling Chatty

Marxist, of the Groucho kind?

Lennonist is better, the John variety.
This sig area under construction.

Neither form of Marxist got in.  In terms of seats, it was a rather overwhelming Liberal majority.  In terms of popular vote, it was a closer race between the Liberals and the PCs, but that's not what matters.

No Greens got seats, unfortunately, but they're up to 8% support, which is into "major party" territory, IMO.

Aggie

Good to see the Greens getting support (I vote Green but definitely don't want them to actually win :mrgreen:). 

There's a mayoral election coming up here on Monday, but I don't think I'm going to get out and vote - I haven't been around and don't have time to properly catch up on the candidates.  And I'm not that interested in the governance of this city anyways. 
WWDDD?

Quote from: Agujjim on October 12, 2007, 02:26:03 PM
Good to see the Greens getting support (I vote Green but definitely don't want them to actually win :mrgreen:). 

I think some of their policies are more of a response to mainstream policies than ideas that are actually supposed to work on their own.  I think if they stood a chance of getting elected, they'd re-work things to be a bit more practical.  I do like the idea of shifting tax to consumption, though.

There's a mayoral election coming up here on Monday, but I don't think I'm going to get out and vote - I haven't been around and don't have time to properly catch up on the candidates.  And I'm not that interested in the governance of this city anyways. 
Too bad you won't be voting, but an uninformed vote is probably worse than no vote at all.

I've only ever not voted in one election (two actually, kinda) I was eligible for: there was a municipal election while I was in school, and since I felt like a guest where I was going to school, it didn't feel right to be part of decisions that would affect the residents there long after I had graduated and moved away; at the same time, because I was out-of-touch with the situation back home, I didn't feel like I could vote responsibly there, either.

Voter turnout for the Provincial election was around 52%, the lowest it's been since the 1920s.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on October 12, 2007, 06:24:51 PM

I think some of their policies are more of a response to mainstream policies than ideas that are actually supposed to work on their own. 

*rumble*

That's why I vote for 'em.  Kind of an overcompensation - if the major parties notice and incorporate workable versions of Green ideas, it's a good thing.  They still need more support, though.

Quote from: Sibling Lambicus the Toluous on October 12, 2007, 06:24:51 PMI've only ever not voted in one election (two actually, kinda) I was eligible for: there was a municipal election while I was in school, and since I felt like a guest where I was going to school, it didn't feel right to be part of decisions that would affect the residents there long after I had graduated and moved away

Also a factor here - I'm hoping to be outta here in a year.
WWDDD?