News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Lion Proverbs

Started by Sibling Qwertyuiopasd, August 26, 2007, 07:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aphos

The Lions of Madison County
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Swatopluk

Don't wish for a lion, you might get it
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

You do not lead by hitting lions over the head--that's assault, not leadership.

~Eisenhower
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Keep me the right lion strong!
(A. v. Schlieffen)

Sibling DavidH

But they didn't, and you lost.  No fool, that Schlieffen, but Moltke took the wrong lion of advance.

Swatopluk

WW1 has not for naught being described as lions led by donkeys.

Personally I do not think the main fault laid with Moltke. The plan, even in its original form, was overambitious and beyond the scope possible at the time.
A lot went down to simple communication problems where the high command did not even know where its armies were exactly and the generals ignored each other. On the Entente side the response almost failed due to personal conflicts both within the French forces but especially between them and the Brits (barely on speaking terms at times). And all bogged down when ammo supplies dwindled. It's simply astonishing to read with how little fricking ammo all participants went to war. It would have been possible for the artillery to spend every last shell within less than three hours of constant firing. At the low point guns were restrcted to three shells per day. And that was gold compared to the Russians who had about one rifle for three men (tactic: the first line gets the rifles and the second and third pick up those dropped by the fallen. When the enemy line has been reached everyone has one since 2/3 died on the way).

Aphos

Outside of a lion, a book is man's best friend.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Aphos on February 18, 2013, 02:47:31 PM
Outside of a lion, a book is man's best friend.

Inside the lion it is too dark to read

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Swatopluk on February 18, 2013, 12:37:37 PM
And that was gold compared to the Russians who had about one rifle for three men (tactic: the first line gets the rifles and the second and third pick up those dropped by the fallen. When the enemy line has been reached everyone has one since 2/3 died on the way).
In Enemy at the Gates they show something similar during the siege of Stalingrad. Weapons are expensive, soldiers are cheap...  :(
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

True lions don't stand on a pedestal and tell you how to climb up; they jump down and help push you up.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

The lion does not care for the mouse pulling his mane

---

I think at least in WW1 it was not lack of care. Russia was simply not capable early in the war to supply the huge conscripted masses and 'made the best out of a bad situation'. It was far easier to mobilize the men than the industry. Germany built its whole strategy on the assumption that Russia would NOT send her armies forward before they were actually ready and that the time needed for that would be enough to beat the French and then to transport the troops to the Eastern border in time to repel the 'steamroller'.

Griffin NoName

There was a lion danced, and under that was I born.

~William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), Much Ado About Nothing
Psychic Hotline Host

Aphos

Houston, this is Tranquility Base.  The lion has landed.

pieces o nine

Peanut-butter-and-jelly lions.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Morgenstund hat Leu im Mund