News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"Iran's leader slams 'arrogant' powers in U.N. address"

Started by Gloria The Camel, September 26, 2007, 10:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gloria The Camel

Has anybody else been following this issue with Irans leader and the nuclear power.

Quote"Human rights are being extensively violated by certain powers," he said in his U.N. address. "Setting up secret prisons, abducting persons, trials and secret punishments without any regard to due process, extensive tappings of telephone conversations, intercepting private mail and frequent summons to police and security centers have become commonplace and prevalent."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/25/un.iran/

What do you all think? The above quote really makes me question which are the dangerous powers of the world. The east in which we are told it is by governments or the West in which we are told by 'freedom fighters', also known as terrorists.

Should it be one country alowed to have nuclear power, all countries alowed? Or should certain countries be alowed and certain countires disalowed?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

What was thay saying? That's like the pot calling the kettle black. That the US has been violating human rights and the Geneva convention for the past few years is well known, but Mr. Ahmadinejad happens to be the president* of a country that does the same and worse in many cases.

I agree with the concept of "nuclear discrimination" though. Who has the right to say that no other country from the main powers, should have an atomic program? More so in the case of Iran when Israel has the bomb and nobody has even hinted sanctions against it. The problem is that Iran (as N. Korea) is a problematic country to have atomic weapons. Think that although the superpowers complained loudly after the atomic tests of India and Pakistan, in general there isn't so much concern for them because their attitudes toward the west are far less radical.

I know that the US was very weary of the Argentinian and Brazilian nuclear programs a while back and actively sought to dismantle the programs, the question is what would happen if they decide to move forward.

I have the feeling that the risks for the developing world are more in the power generation business (the ones who develop the tech will benefit more, obviously), but the costs have to go down significantly and the alternatives be unable to fill the gap.

* the president in Iran is more a figure than a holder of real power. The previous one was a reformist and was blocked at every try he made.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Chatty

Gotta remember, Dick Cheney's over here literally trying to find any reason to bomb the hell outta his country. Anything, legit or not.

If i were the leader of ANY other country, I would sure as hell be wanting something as a deterrent for the kind of treatment the US is giving 'enemies' real or imagined.

The problem with 'the bomb'?

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/58881/detail/
This sig area under construction.