News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Awareness vs personal threat re: climate change

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), December 13, 2009, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

If the sea level rises does that mean altitude sickness starts kicking in higher up than before the sea level rose?   :D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

For a few meters nobody will notice the difference, what will be more noticeable is the ever higher snowline. Back home one particular system has been losing its snow and they expect it to lose almost all but on the highest peak.

Oh, and you'll notice anopheles mosquitoes at higher altitudes already.  :(
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

Quote from: Darlica on December 16, 2009, 12:55:18 PM
Anopheles mosquitoes get further North too. :(

The malaria was driven south of the Alps only at the beginning of the 20th century, now it's likely to return.

Already spreading is the Asian Tiger Mosquito and with it some new (to Central Europe) diseases.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Darlica

I've seen Anopheles mosquitoes in the south of Sweden however this far north they don't carry the malaria parasite... at the moment.

Actually we have had malaria infected mosquitoes here until pretty recently, the last known case was in the 1930's. During the the period around 1600 to 1800 it even seemed to have been pretty common, it even had a Swedish name Sumpfeber (Swamp fever) although that name isn't used anymore.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

Sumpffieber is also a German term but also not in professional use anymore to my knowledge. It is possible though that medicine made a distinction between Wechselfieber ('changing fever' = malaria) and Sumpffieber (swamp fever).
It looks like we'll have to get used to West Nile fever too (see the tiger mosquito mentioned above)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Don't know what you are all worrying about. We are going to be wiped oout by an asteroid or super volcano erruption Catastrophe soon anyway.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand