News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Bible and the Ballot

Started by Griffin NoName, October 30, 2008, 01:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Just watched a documentary by Israeli film-maker Ilan Ziv following faith groups around the primaries.

There was a shot of Hilary Clinton saying

My faith has given me the confidence to make the decisions that are right for me whether anyone agrees with me or not

Can these people actually HEAR what they are saying? 

I am afraid I burst out laughing   ::) 

Shall I have beans for supper even though no one else thinks it a good idea?

Shall I launch a nuclear attack on that Hill over there even though my neighbours like a quiet life?

Oh life is soooooooooo SIMPLE when one has The-Confidence !

I've decided Democracy must be the most idiotic idea ever evolved (worldwide - I am equally despondent about the UK).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I'm not sure that's what she meant, but I don't have all the context. Maybe she meant her choices for herself, whether Bill likes them or not?
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Yes, I thought about that.

So, assume it is out of context. Assume it wasn't even during the primaries.

But, it was spoken to camera.

Was it an extract from a debate on choosing lipstick?  If so, some people might be concerned as to whether she cares if any animals were used in testing the ingredients.

If you are running for office, or intending to, IMHO it is advisable to remember the personal is political.

If she'd like to apply to be Chief Archibishop of My Church, then I might consider her self confidence driven by faith a plus point on her application form - depending on what she has faith in ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Yep, suppose it does depend on the context. My experience is that when people have a direct line to God it's sometimes because their line to humanity has been cut off for non-payment.

On a lighter note, I wound up a Republican semi-fundy* the other day by saying they were hypocrites. The Bible says "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's"  but they had a revolution instead.  They need to take the Bible more literally.

* Please stop exporting them.
The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: beagle on October 30, 2008, 07:38:39 AM
My experience is that when people have a direct line to God it's sometimes because their line to humanity has been cut off for non-payment.
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
I'm actually convinced that most of those claiming a direct* line to god only have a direct line to themselves and their self interest.

* you can exclude the mentally ill from that list. The honest (and consistent) religious people I've met have never claim a direct line.
Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 30, 2008, 01:46:57 AM
There was a shot of Hilary Clinton saying
My faith has given me the confidence to make the decisions that are right for me whether anyone agrees with me or not
I saw that clip and IIRC the context was her faith, and something about being able to make the right decision regardless of how popular that decision was (which is eerily similar to what dubya has been saying all this years).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Bleach! I'm certainly glad that she didn't run. I could never have voted for someone with that sort of arrogance. (Needless to say I'm not voting Repubican, either.)

I wish and hope that we will stop hearing about people's religions during elections. It is completely against what the U.S. was founded on- which was  an idea that we could govern without divine intervention (read: opression). Cripes, these politicians are trying to get the highest government job available and they've forgotten this?!

Scriblerus the Philosophe

You'd think we'd have learned about religious stuff long ago--weren't many immigrants here fleeing religious persecution? I'd athunk that would make us nervous about people bringing their religion into politics.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Opsa

That's right.

The worst thing about it is the smugness. If a politician was something less acceptable by the Fundies he or she woiuld be less likely to mention it. Can you imagine a Jewish candidate saying something like that? Or a Buddhist? People would be screaming in opposition!

Griffin NoName

I think she may have done me a service. Not many years ago I would have been angry hearing her say that. Now, despite being well aware of the dangers of such mindsets, it makes me laugh and giggle.

Imagine what the world would be like if everyone giggled and fell about rolling on the floor with laughter?   Perhaps TOP just didn't take the idea far enough.

Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 30, 2008, 07:57:14 PM
Imagine what the world would be like if everyone giggled and fell about rolling on the floor with laughter?   

Some of us have been there, a long time ago.
The angels have the phone box

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on October 30, 2008, 05:25:10 PM
You'd think we'd have learned about religious stuff long ago--weren't many immigrants here fleeing religious persecution? I'd athunk that would make us nervous about people bringing their religion into politics.
The problem is that those that came running from religious prosecution were fundies themselves (the puritans).

In the end religion is used as a tool to mobilize people on a visceral level to reach some political end. That's why, while I respect spirituality (and even embrace some forms of it) I no longer have the same feelings about organized religion.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 30, 2008, 02:23:28 PM
I'm actually convinced that most of those claiming a direct* line to god only have a direct line to themselves and their self interest.

Heh, that's a good reason for Autotheism - cut out the middleman. ;D

not that I go down that path much anymore
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Of all literary critics and publishing company lectors all but one claimed to be God. The one exception claimed to have created God.
(Journal of irreproducible results)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.