News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"Fascist America, in 10 easy steps"--How Close Are We?

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, December 04, 2007, 01:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on December 10, 2007, 07:38:38 AM
On the other hand, is there a choice of supermarkets left in the centre for those without cars? 

AH ! Nostalgia. There used to be small supermarket - I think it was called the International Stores - on the market place. It famous for the constant cry of the till operators. The store was narrow and they had the brilliant idea of having all the tills lined up one in front of another. Naturally the queue stretched back down through the store and tills never came free in the right order. Hence the refrain "Can you come through please. Can you please come through" - repeat in ever increasing crescendo and despair. I have to report that this phrase has entered my social circles vocabulary. It is not often needed but can prove useful on odd occasions. If you wander round Cambridge uttering it, you will be able to identify the long-term residents, as their anger at the loss is still burning.

Quote from: Swatopluk on December 10, 2007, 09:44:28 AM
At least British TV still makes the best documentaries worldwide.

But would our dear Queen agree with you after that editing faux pas ?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

I remember the supermarket, and the cinema next to it where I saw Life of Brian during Billy Graham's "crusade" at Great St Mary's.

Does "Reality Checkpoint" still exist?  (just checked with Wiki, apparently so; though I'd heard the name came from a band poster once on it).

Quote from: Griffin
Quote from: Swatopluk on December 10, 2007, 09:44:28 AM
At least British TV still makes the best documentaries worldwide.

But would our dear Queen agree with you after that editing faux pas ?

It was when Blue Peter was caught fiddling competition results I realised Western Civilisation was over. ;)
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on December 10, 2007, 12:38:46 PM
I remember the supermarket, and the cinema next to it where I saw Life of Brian during Billy Graham's "crusade" at Great St Mary's.

:ROFL:  Do you remember the greek dive the other side, I forget the name, where one descended down into a subteranean moussaka den? We used to eat there at least once a week. Why escapes me ;)

Does "Reality Checkpoint" still exist?  (just checked with Wiki, apparently so; though I'd heard the name came from a band poster once on it).

Parker's Piece was the no go area - a silly (male) uni friend crossed it late one night and got beaten up as was any who dared at the time. I think it has more recently smartened its act up altogether, although I would still  be scared to walk upon it after dark - except for the fireworks.

It was when Blue Peter was caught fiddling competition results I realised Western Civilisation was over. ;)

Blue Peter badges are SOoooooooo devalued  :'(
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

The Meromorph

Thread drift is one thing but...

How did a discussion of America's ongoing transformation into a Fascist society turn into nostalgia for Blue Peter?

??? :ROFL:
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Thread discipline at the Monastery has totally disintegrated. That's what happens when there is a liberal attitude to discipline. This thread is a fine metaphor for the problems for America inherent in NOT transforming into a Fascist society. Personally I blame the Mods and Admins. ;)

But I am not sure I understand your point Mero. A state run corporation naming a cat, ignoring the people's wishes, is relevant ;D ;D ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

beagle

I heard the kids wanted to call the cat Mohammed.

Quote from: Griffin
Do you remember the greek dive the other side, I forget the name, where one descended down into a subteranean moussaka den? We used to eat there at least once a week. Why escapes me

Luxury. We would have dreamed of eating in a place like that. When we had to live on £1 a day doing experiments during the Long Vac we'd buy one portion of boiled rice at 30p from the Chinese near Mitchum's corner. If they were feeling generous they might throw in a boiled mushroom or two.

And you tell the youth of today that...

Swatopluk

Do I smell another thread drift towards Monty Python?
But we can do that without leaving the topic, there are a few sketches that do fit.
[youtube=425,350]ju3h7yk4Hcg[/youtube]
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

The Meromorph

A pound a day! Boiled rice! You had it easy!
We had to steal a match every day to light the scraps of wood we collected (while we wuz catching mice inna forest) to boil the mice, if we caught any.

::) :D
Dances with Motorcycles.

beagle

We would have dreamed of a forest for when we couldn't get the rice.  Awkward questions could be asked if too many tourists went missing each summer.

The Meromorph

Tourists? ::) When times wuz 'ard, we 'ad to eat tramps! An' they wuz right stinky, too!   Tourists?
Dances with Motorcycles.

beagle

Quote from: Swatopluk on December 11, 2007, 10:50:47 AM
Do I smell another thread drift towards Monty Python?
But we can do that without leaving the topic, there are a few sketches that do fit.

How true. Spot the Goat.

[youtube=425,350]vZ9myHhpS9s[/youtube]

Griffin NoName

:offtopic:

I actually did live on 50p a day - for that I used to have a yoghurt and a mars bar. Well it WAS the sixties !!!  When we backpacked in Sweden it stretched to a slice of water melon and a bottle of ginger beer. That was when it was forbidden to take money out of Britain !

I got the worst food poisoning EVER from the Chinese on Mitcham's corner. I think the mushroom was actually a mouse dropping.

I have rather a lot of Chinese restaurant stories. The best is when the Bishop of Ely came up and said hello to one of our party - (maybe not so off topic - it was a Pythonesque moment) - that was at the Hang Chow behind Petty Cury sadly long-demolished (Mitcham's corner is I think the Hing Hung) - so thereafter the poor man was always known as the Hang Chow Bishop.

The saddest is that I never kept in touch with the wonderful family who ran The Hot Pot - also on Mitcham's corner. I could have left my fortune to them if I had.
Psychic Hotline Host