News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"Education"

Started by Alpaca, August 18, 2007, 06:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

True that! You have amazing scores.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Alpaca

Rice is on "the list," Dee Dee, although music ain't gonna be a major, I don't think - it'll stay a hobby.

Viva physics!

For the record, here's the list now:

• Berkeley
  • Cal Tech
  • Carleton College (probably not)
  • Carnegie Mellon
  • Case Western
  • Chicago
  • Cornell
  • Harvey Mudd
  • Johns Hopkins
  • MIT - Don't wanna do undergrad there. Too impersonal.
  • New College of Florida - Hell no. Wanna get out of this damn state.
  • Chapel Hill
  • Rensselaer - Safety school
  • Rice
  • Stanford
  • Worcester Polytechnic - Safety school

The whole "safety school" thing gets me, too, by the way. I either want to go to a college or I don't.
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Sibling Chatty

RICE!!

Dang, all the people I used to know there are long retired.
This sig area under construction.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Stanford is fantastic! I'm planning to apply there next fall. I live a couple of hours from there.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Alpaca

Really liked it when I visited. Beautiful campus, IMHO.
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

ivor

Get out of Florida, unless you're good at football.  :mrgreen:

goat starer

Come to england and study at a proper university  ;)

and get out of that nasty private funded school you terrible capitalist imperialist american borgeois lacky of the corporate State!  :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag: :goatflag:

on the basis of political bias you could go to the peoples republic of Berkley
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Griffin NoName

Quote from: goat starer on August 19, 2007, 12:42:34 PM
Come to england and study at a proper university  ;)

Glad to see the usual post A-level results arguments about standards have broken out as usual. (lets have an A+*++ grade so the universities wont even need to interview; whatever you do, do not change the start of the A band so it's harder to get an A at all).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Alpaca

When I was in London a few summers ago, one day took a trip to Cambridge. Gorgeous.
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

beagle

Quote from: Alpaca on August 18, 2007, 10:19:33 PM
Here's my education problem: I've never been challenged. The only effort I've seriously had to expend that challenged me was whenever I was assigned busywork. (Yes, there are a few notable exceptions in some of the better teachers I've had.)

That is a bit surprising if you go to a private school. When I went to college I mixed with people from the top UK schools  (Winchester, St. Pauls etc) for the first time, and they had already done half the first year's syllabus while still at school.  Or have you already reached that point and are still challenge-less?  :o

I suppose there's nothing to stop you getting hold of university level texts and reading ahead yourself. These days quite a lot of good degree course tutorial material is available free online. This'll be good practice for when you have to set your own workload and get you used to situations where you can't do all the questions.
I don't know if you've seen the Stephen Hawking biography film "Brief History of Time", but that captures the dismay of Hawking's fellow students in finding he could answer more questions correctly in an hour than they could do combined in a week.  You're about to enter an environment where the sky (or the spacetime metric, or something) is the limit.

Quote from: Alpaca
When I was in London a few summers ago, one day took a trip to Cambridge. Gorgeous.

Not bad for physics with theatre as an outside interest either. Though you wouldn't get much time off from the course to do any serious acting.  Be careful to avoid its Thames Valley rival though. Terrible place ;)

The angels have the phone box

Alpaca

I still go to high school. One more year before college, so I haven't gotten there yet.

I take AP-level classes. Dunno if you're familiar with that program - think it's an American thing. The idea is to offer college-level classes to high school students so they can move onto the more advanced stuff in college right away.

Those ain't challenging either. You do make a good point about university texts, though. I might have to look at some.
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

The Meromorph

t's my understanding that, to a large extent, Amercian undergraduate degrees overlap with '6th form in High school' in the UK. An American Batchelors degree is only a little above 'A' levels in the UK. (An american official rating service certified my 'S' level GCE's as equivalent to an American BSc, for the US Government.) The correspondence is close for Masters and PhDs but an American Masters takes several years, a UK Masters often only one.
This may explain a lot of Alpaca's frustration, to our UK members.  :P
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

So an American Masters covers a batchelors here in UK and then overtakes it? Or where does the "gap" get filled?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Ah, right.

There used to be a really cool book of outre physics problems called "Cavendish Problems in Classical Physics" which I could pretty much guarantee would be challenging, but unfortunately it's out of print.
It had questions to do with calculating when a plane's wheels would stop skidding on landing, and other lateral thinking questions like that which got away from the traditional "weightless pulley, frictionless plane" artificial questions of school.

The angels have the phone box

The Meromorph

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 19, 2007, 04:49:22 PM
So an American Masters covers a batchelors here in UK and then overtakes it? Or where does the "gap" get filled?
That's about it. I think American Masters covers the last two years of a UK Batchelors and the UK Masters.
A Masters or a Phd in either country  is strictly equivalent...
Dances with Motorcycles.