News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

A Place of Nightmare.

Started by The Meromorph, November 03, 2006, 07:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Meromorph

I found this link over at Koom Valley (they hated it, too).
Frankly, I will probably have nightmares about this...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,987172,00.html?=rss

QuoteWere you to glance up from the deserted beach below, you might mistake Tranquility Bay for a rather exclusive hotel. The statuesque white property stands all alone on a sandy curve of southern Jamaica, feathered by palm trees, gazing out across the Caribbean Sea. You would have to look closer to see the guards at the wall. Inside, 250 foreign children are locked up. Almost all are American, but though kept prisoner, they were not sent here by a court of law. Their parents paid to have them kidnapped and flown here against their will, to be incarcerated for up to three years, sometimes even longer. They will not be released until they are judged to be respectful, polite and obedient enough to rejoin their families.
Check out the link to read on...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Aphos

I found a lot of things disturbing in the article...the attitude of the people running it, the responses of the poor kids being kept there, the responses of their parents...

These kids will be scarred for life.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I read over most of the bit, right up until the "testimonies" near the end, then skipped to the last paragraph: "saddest girl in the world" said it all.

As I was reading the description, I kept going back [in my mind] to a short novella, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch, by Alexander Solzhenitsyn.

It describes the way Soviet prisoners were treated in Gulag, and most folk consider that treatment heinous.

But, because Tranquility Bay houses underage kids, at their parents' behest, we let these sorts of things slide?

*bleah* sometimes I wish my ancestors had not climbed down out of the trees ...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Horrifying.

Is it legal?

It sounds like it has all the characteristics of a cult too.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Spoffish

Oh my god. That is PETRIFYING. Because I've read a book, fictional, which was definitely about that place. And I remember thinking, when I finished it, "Thank goodness there isn't a real place like that". But there is. And the scary thing is, no one can prove that it doesn't work. If a student comes out and tells all the scary things that happened to them, then the program can just say that they didn't try hard enough.

Now I just have to remember what the book was called....
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
That way, when you DO criticize him, you are a mile away, and have his shoes.

There is coming out a new documentary about the Jonestonw Massacre.  I wonder how much of the same techniques were used at Jonestown ...?

IMDB link here Jonestown- The Life and Death of Peoples Temple

DISCO GODZILLAJESUSZ

No doubt that the girl who had to lay down on her face for 18 months is a delusional psychopath who probably killed her parents once she got out.
Red makes me stand out more.

Bluenose

I read this with a kind of morbid fascination.  It is almost beyond belief.

The article skirts around the legal issues, but it occurs to me that this facility would surely be in direct contravention of the UN convention on the rights of the child.  It is a pity that so many countries put so little importance on fulfilling their international obligations.

Frankly I find the whole milieu of this place deeply disturbing.

Sibling Bluenose
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In my experience both as a parent and when I used to work in summer camps, children misbehavior is exclusively attributable to the parent mis- or lack of thereof -treatment. IOW if a teen is a pre-delinquent it is the parent's fault. Now, to correct the problem you send the kid to a torture/brainwash facility?!

Reading some of the stuff to my kid, he mentioned the word 'suicide' very quickly, and I don't blame him, in the same situation I would consider it too.

I wonder what will be of the kids sent there in a few years after their parents influence stops, but something tells me that they will carefully look for a *suitable retirement facility* for their parents when their moment arrives...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Quote from: anon1mat0 on December 12, 2006, 01:48:07 AM
In my experience both as a parent and when I used to work in summer camps, children misbehavior is exclusively attributable to the parent mis- or lack of thereof -treatment. IOW if a teen is a pre-delinquent it is the parent's fault. Now, to correct the problem you send the kid to a torture/brainwash facility?!

Reading some of the stuff to my kid, he mentioned the word 'suicide' very quickly, and I don't blame him, in the same situation I would consider it too.

I wonder what will be of the kids sent there in a few years after their parents influence stops, but something tells me that they will carefully look for a *suitable retirement facility* for their parents when their moment arrives...

One of the Biblical Universal Truths, I think, is "be sure your sins will find you out".

I always took this to mean, that, as you do, so it will be done TO you.  Eventually.

Or, more bluntly,

"What goes around, comes around."

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Classic karma: every action creates an opposite and equal reaction. It might not happen immediately, but it will certainly happen.

Quote from: anon1mat0 on December 13, 2006, 02:05:56 AM
Classic karma: every action creates an opposite and equal reaction. It might not happen immediately, but it will certainly happen.

Speaking of karma - have you seen the TV show "My Name is Earl?"  It's pretty funny, but the basis of the show is all about karma.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I saw the pilot; it looked funny. With the little time I have for TV I only watch the stuff that my kid watches (Billy & Mandy, Naruto, Avatar), Battlestar Galactica (and often I have to tape it) and the Daily Show and Colbert Report when I'm around. Now my kid is interested in Discovery/National Geographic therefore I watch some... (notice a pattern?) Someday, I will be master of my own TV... :ninja:

Back to Earl, with all the buzz when it launched, I haven't heard about it since, is the show still on, or just re-runs?

ivor

My Name is Earl and The Office are personal favorites of mine and my wife.

Sibling Chatty

We don't have TV. (No cable, no TV around here.) And i've managed to see some Earl.

Absolutely one of the funniest, sweetest things i've ever seen. Even if you don't quite make it, points for trying to do the right thing, Earl...

The episode with Christian Slater was priceless.
This sig area under construction.