News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

US Gov't Shutdown

Started by Opsa, April 07, 2011, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

The U.S. Government is poised for a shutdown on Saturday, April 9 at midnight, if the stalemate over the budget continues.

We live relatively close to Washington DC and there are a lot of government workers around here. I'm feeling the stress. How about you?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

With a convicted white collar criminal in the governor's house and a repug majority in the state capitol, we have more pressing issues down here as the far right does it's best to fire teachers, reject high speed train federal money and other niceties pass at record speed in Tallahassee. I imagine federal parks like the Everglades will close and the schools will feel even more pressure as they now stop receiving federal money.

The repug wet dream is coming true and there seems to be no way to stop them (while the dems look more and more like a headless chicken).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

The timing is poised to ruin years-in-the-making vacations, too.

The US Parks service is run on a year-to-year budget.  There is no provision to operate the US parks, if there is no official budget.  None.

So if the budget is not passed?  The parks >>must<< close.

To get a reservation in these parks' very limited camping spaces and cabins?  Takes a wait of 2 years, on average.

There is no provision to replace lost reservations due to government shutdown-- these peoples' vacation plans of 2 years in the making are simply trashed.

This was one of the major backlashes that eventually brought down Ginggrinch's power structure.

But, from what I see with regards to the Tea Party?  They simply do not care-- the whole lot of them are insane-in-the-membrane.  Seriously.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

I rumble with you on that, B-in-a-Q. The tuckin' pea farty are just a bunch of complainers with no real solutions and are completely worthless.

It seems incredibly poor planning to have no emergency resources to keep the parks open, or any of the rest of it, for that matter.

pieces o nine

Big generalizations, not so good.      (<--- pretty good generalization, eh?)

Nonetheless, the "Tea Party" seems more and more to be populated by people with no short-term vision, no long-term vision, and lacking all the Oz gifts (brains, heart, and courage). Instead, they behave like some terrible cross between piranhas and sharks:  swimming blindly in a school*** with no awareness of which direction they're going or when they're zig-zagging crazily, and ready to devour anything 'weak' in their path -- themselves included -- for the pleasure of tearing flesh and breathing blood.

I really don't understand how teh crazy can be "winning".    :P

*** need some other term as they're not that keen on schools, either.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 07, 2011, 03:48:00 PM
With a convicted white collar criminal in the governor's house and a repug majority in the state capitol, we have more pressing issues down here as the far right does it's best to fire teachers, reject high speed train federal money and other niceties pass at record speed in Tallahassee. I imagine federal parks like the Everglades will close and the schools will feel even more pressure as they now stop receiving federal money.

The repug wet dream is coming true and there seems to be no way to stop them (while the dems look more and more like a headless chicken).
You also can't say uterus.  ::) ;D I love your state.

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 09, 2011, 03:58:49 AM
Big generalizations, not so good.      (<--- pretty good generalization, eh?)

Nonetheless, the "Tea Party" seems more and more to be populated by people with no short-term vision, no long-term vision, and lacking all the Oz gifts (brains, heart, and courage). Instead, they behave like some terrible cross between piranhas and sharks:  swimming blindly in a school*** with no awareness of which direction they're going or when they're zig-zagging crazily, and ready to devour anything 'weak' in their path -- themselves included -- for the pleasure of tearing flesh and breathing blood.

*** need some other term as they're not that keen on schools, either.
I prefer to think they're sheep someone gave a vampire's set of dentures. They hiss and and bare their teeth, but in the end, they're sheep and a corporate overlord is going to eat them for supper.

So, here's how this is going to happen. The temp measure to prevent an actual shutdown will pass easy peasy. Dems are holding out (I think), based on Bonher's bitching (Ima call him Boner from now on, mkay?), but they'll probably cave on a lot of issues - say good bye to NPR, among other things. I'm thinking Planned Parenthood will be sticking around (thank god), though.
This is assuming, of course, that the Repugs don't do an about face and change their mind about accepting the deal. In which case the Dems'll cave like a sugar castle in the rain. The economy will be screwed up seven ways 'til Sunday and the Republicans will beat the Dems over the head with it and sweep the 2012 election.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

I have yet to read the details about the 'compromise' found last night but I fear it will make it necessary to redefine unconditional surrender.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

It went down pretty much as per Scrib's prediction. I just hope the rest of the prediction does not go that way, but it seems possible, given our history.

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Swatopluk

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 09, 2011, 03:58:49 AM

The third part of The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy has a discussion on that between Ford, Arthur and Slartibartfast.
Short version: the wicked/crazy/etc. do really care, the vast majority of normal people doesn't.

Someone also said that the triumph of evil only needs the complacency of the good

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

So the crazy are committed or should be committed? I guess both. ;)

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 12, 2011, 08:17:56 AM
Someone also said that the triumph of evil only needs the complacency of the good

In the words of Delin of Babylon 5?

"Absofrikkin'-lutely"

Which is why I scoff at anyone who claims "violence never solved anything".... ha!

Violence always solves something.  Always.

Granted-- it often creates brand-new 'somethings' that now need solving, but within the original set of circumstances, something is settled by violence.

It may not be Just.  It may not be ethical and/or moral.   But something is settled-- if nothing else?  If someone is dead?  He/she is no longer a part of any problem (or solution).

I did not say I liked it, or approved-- I was simply pointing out that violence has an effect.

To pretend otherwise, is to invite someone with a bigger stick to test your resolve.   If you cannot talk your way out of that?  You can either die, or return the violent intent with violence of your own.

True-- some choose death, and that is certainly one answer-- once dead, they are completely beyond the reach of anyone's activities.  So that is one form of being settled.

I admire the commitment to their ideals, but I do not think it's very wise or effective-- humans still have deeply seated instincts with regards to violence.

Until and if we ever manage to get rid of those instincts?

Violence will remain a part of our collective cultures.

Pretending otherwise does not help.

:soapbox:

Swatopluk

Imagine the next State of the Union speech. Obama steps up to the lecturn with an unusually bulky buttoned up jacket.
"The state of the Union is critical and requires drastic measures. We have to roll up our sleeves and act." He unbuttons his jacket and reveals a very heavy suicide vest. "May I inform you that the shrapnel in this vest is impure plutonium and that a few micrograms entering your body will mean a slow and painful death. Even if you are not hit directly, you'll inhale enough dust to do the job. Do I have your full attention? Here are my budget proposals for next year and some extra goodies. Btw, Mr.Speaker, if you hit me on the head with that oversized gavel of yours (which you can standing directly behind me), the vest will go off automatically. Your votes gentlemen. I will sign the bill immediately. Joe, could you please personally deliver the signed bill where it belongs. Now gentlemen, see you again in the afterlife." The rest is first silence, then a big bang and now the screaming starts.

pieces o nine

I watched five minutes of coverage of the votes today, and had to switch it off.
:P    :'(    >:(

I cannot fathom what is going through the minds of so-called Democrats voting further and further and further to the right, for fear that Bill O'Reilly will call them liberals,  or something.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

80% of Democrats used to be Republicans (or closeted ones) when the party was a semi-moderate entity. Now they only have the Democratic party as a way to demonstrate a little semblance of moderation.

In any case Democrats also receive money from the same guys who want to return to a XIX century economic model so they feign shock and dismay but still vote them in.

If you ask me, this generation is screwed.

Swatopluk

19th century is so for soft wussies. The aim is for the period between the original constitution and the adoption by amendment of the Bill of Rights (as a compromise the 2nd will be kept). Magna Charta is foreign law and thus has no place in American halls of justice.

pieces o nine

I don't know... they're starting to have more in common with Constantine.

(One US-imposed Democracy; one GOP; one Church)

At this point, it's totally par for the course and I think it's kind of funny.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

If you have  taste for dead baby comedy...

One thing that especially annoys me and that seems to be (at the moment) to be 99% on the right wing of the aisle is the extreme smugness. One hears them make speeches or give interviews and the look on their faces alone awakes in you the strong urge to hit them, preferably with a blunt and hard object. And then they open their mouthes and thoughts of post-natal birth control and familicide bubble up.

Opsa

Down boy, down... but I know what you mean.

The only nice thing about this is that we know they'll all be rinsed out in a future cycle.

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 16, 2011, 07:52:58 AM
If you have  taste for dead baby comedy...

One thing that especially annoys me and that seems to be (at the moment) to be 99% on the right wing of the aisle is the extreme smugness. One hears them make speeches or give interviews and the look on their faces alone awakes in you the strong urge to hit them, preferably with a blunt and hard object. And then they open their mouthes and thoughts of post-natal birth control and familicide bubble up.
Which I totally do, sorry.

Indeed such thoughts do. No one would miss them.

Quote from: Opsa on April 16, 2011, 03:25:06 PM
The only nice thing about this is that we know they'll all be rinsed out in a future cycle.
I don't think so. The Democrats have proven to be no better and the Repugs at least do something (even if that something is crapping on everyone on the social ladder who makes less than $100,00/year). I'd put money down on the Repugs taking the White House in the next election, but I may revise that once I get an idea of how my peers intend to vote, IF they vote.

Swatopluk

Nothing against dead baby comedy btw, provided it is well-made (or entertainingly trashy enough).

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 17, 2011, 08:34:20 AM
Nothing against dead baby comedy btw, provided it is well-made (or entertainingly trashy enough).

Similar to this?

Made from real Girl Scouts

Swatopluk

:offtopic: I found tvtropes.org to be among the most addictive websites I ever encountered.

I have a theory. For every TVTropes tab you open, it will spawn six more.

/tangent