News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

House Republicans Block Child Marriage Prevention Act

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, December 20, 2010, 10:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I hate Republicans.

QuoteWASHINGTON -- On Thursday, the House took up the International Protecting Girls by Preventing Child Marriage Act of 2010. The bill would ensure that child marriage is recognized as a human rights violation, and develop comprehensive strategies to prevent such marriages around the world. The legislation seemed likely to garner strong bipartisan support in Congress, and in the Senate, it did. But last night, the bill was voted down in the House by Republicans who argued the bill is too costly and could lead to increased abortions -- gripes the measure's supporters say have no basis in reality and are just excuses to kill the popular bill.

The measure, introduced by Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine), passed the Senate by unanimous consent and attracted a list of 42 cosponsors, including Sens. David Vitter (R-La.) and Roger Wicker (R-Miss.). It also had the support of nonpartisan groups like the YWCA. On Dec. 6, former president of Ireland Mary Robinson and Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post, praising the United States for stepping up: "This act illustrates how support for securing a just and healthy life for every woman and girl transcends politics."

The House version, introduced by Reps. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.) and Ander Crenshaw (R-Fla.), had 112 cosponsors. What's interesting is that some of them -- such as Rep. Lee Terry (R-Neb.) -- actually voted against the bill. In the end, only 12 Republicans backed the measure; nine Democrats defected to the GOP side. So what happened?

This week, a GOP whip alert went out about the child marriage legislation, saying that House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio), Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Committee on Foreign Affairs Ranking Member Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) all oppose it. The email:

S. 987 authorizes $108 million over 5 years without sufficient oversight of the taxpayers' money. According to the Congressional Research Service, there is no available, confirmed figure on how much taxpayer funding is already being used to fight child marriage in developing countries and this bill does not address that issue.

In contrast, Ranking Member Ros-Lehtinen has introduced H.R. 6521, which would result in no more than $1 million in potential costs, while making it clear that child marriage is a violation of human rights and that its prevention should be a goal of US foreign policy; requiring the creation of a multi-year strategy; requiring a comprehensive assessment of what the United States is already doing and funding in the effort to fight child marriage; and requiring that the practice of child marriage in other countries be reported each year as part of the annual Human Rights Report.

There are also concerns that funding will be directed to NGOs that promote and perform abortion and efforts to combat child marriage could be usurped as a way to overturn pro-life laws.

The prevalence of child marriage remains alarmingly high worldwide. As CARE, a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty and supporting the child marriage prevention bill notes, "More than 60 million girls ages 17 and younger -- many as young as 10 -- are forced into marriage in developing countries. Many of these girls are married to men more than twice their age. Not only does this unacceptable practice thwart a girl's education, it endangers her health and often locks her into a life of poverty."

On Thursday, Durbin's office put out a statement sharply criticizing the House's failure to pass the bill: "The action on the House floor stopping the Child Marriage bill tonight will endanger the lives of millions of women and girls around the world. These young girls, enslaved in marriage, will be brutalized and many will die when their young bodies are torn apart while giving birth. Those who voted to continue this barbaric practice brought shame to Capitol Hill.

GOP concerns over abortion and the cost of the bill are puzzling. According to a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimate, "CBO estimates that implementing the bill would cost $67 million over the 2011-2015 period, assuming appropriation of the necessary amounts. Enacting S. 987 would not affect direct spending or revenues; therefore, pay-as-you-go procedures do not apply to this legislation."

Conor Williams writes in The Washington Post blog PostPartisan, "How can Republicans explain efforts to defeat a human rights bill because of $67 million in potential spending while simultaneously pushing for a tax cut deal for wealthy Americans that will add $858 billion to the deficit? Is this at all credible?"

On abortion, the bill never mentions either "family planning" or "abortion."

Friday morning, Rep. Steve LaTourette (R-Ohio), who voted for the bill, took the House floor and called out his Republican colleagues for their objections to the measure, saying such arguments amounted to nothing but politics:
    Yesterday, I was on the floor, and I was a co-sponsor with a piece of legislation with the Gentlelady from Minnesota, Ms. McCollum, that would have moved money -- no new money -- would have moved money so that societies that are coercing young girls into marriage, we could build them latrines so they could go to school. Or we could make sure that they stay in school so they're not forced into marriage at the age of 12 and 13.

But all of a sudden, there was a fiscal argument. When that didn't work, then people had to add an abortion element to it. Look, this is a partisan place. I'm a Republican. I'm glad we beat their butt in the election; we're going to be in the majority next year. But there comes a time when enough is enough, and McCollum's bill was a good bill last night. ... We should stop the nonsense, approve the bill and move on.
I am appalled but not shocked. House Republicans are only pandering to NIMBY-I-don't-care-they-ain't-white-and-it's-my-money fuckers who make up part of their base and it's absolutely vile. I mean, I realize that some of them don't value women - their autonomy, their equality, their quality of life - or even see them as real people - but this is the worst. Absolute worst. PARTICULARLY because these assholes will promptly turn around and use child marriage as fuel for their hate and justification for it. There's a long history of colonial powers using the treatment of women in the societies they've taken over to justify their own treatment of those people, while not actually treating their women that much better (sure, she has better over all living conditions, but you sure think she's not much smarter than a damned gorilla) and this is pretty much the same behavior in places we're not actually colonizing.

I can't even think of a way to comment on the abortion thing. I really can't. It's flabbergasting.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Hey, they voted against the 9-11 first responders act, at this point they would vote against baby Jesus if that doesn't give more tax breaks for the rich.

What bothers me is that the country votes for those b@$tards while they make Giovanni Gentile's wet dreams come true.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Oh, indeed. I was equally riled up about that.

Read this book: American Fascism: The Christian Right and the War on America By Chris Hedges. It will scare you and pretty much goes with that.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Lindorm

I't's absolutely sickening and bizarre, too. Is there nothing that can't be smeared in US politics by bringing out the abortion bugaboo sceptre? "Look, if we don't spend USD 63bn. on the F22-fighter jet programme, the muslim terrorist abortionists will win!"

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

Reminds me of the GOP killing the ratification of the International Convention on the Rights of the Child.
One of the reasons was that it interfered with the practice of sentencing minors to life in prison (or death before SCOTUS outlawed that*)

*again accompanied by conservative cries of 'judicial activism'
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I always wonder if the (conventional) right in Europe is as incredibly evil* as the one in the States, here it seems they dropped all pretenses.  >:(

*My friend living in Paris positively hates Sarkozy but in many things he seems communist besides Obama!
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: ZonoI always wonder if the (conventional) right in Europe is as incredibly evil as the one in the States

I would say in UK politics,no.  The Tories (Conservatives) still look after the well-off, but it's because they genuinely believe that's how prosperity is generated.  Now they are again applying the axe to welfare, but it's a necessity, since Labour have yet again left us broke and with huge debts.

And here, religion doesn't enter into it at all.

Quote from: Lindorm on December 21, 2010, 08:18:34 AM
I't's absolutely sickening and bizarre, too. Is there nothing that can't be smeared in US politics by bringing out the abortion bugaboo sceptre? "Look, if we don't spend USD 63bn. on the F22-fighter jet programme, the muslim terrorist abortionists will win!"

Guns.

So far.