News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Labservative Party

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), March 30, 2010, 08:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on April 05, 2010, 06:06:50 PMActually there is an apparent danger we might be lumbered with GB if there is a hung parliament, while the parties squabble as to who might be in a coalition.

Yes it is a real and present danger. Although HM could ask anyone. I can think of worse.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

I am getting nervous. What happens if HM is out when GB calls. She ain't there yet !
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 06, 2010, 09:36:11 AM

I am getting nervous. What happens if HM is out when GB calls. She ain't there yet !

Your call is important to us:

Press 1 to dissolve parliament
Press 2 to start a war

Great. A whole month of lies to sit through.

The angels have the phone box

Sibling DavidH

^ :ROFL:

The deed is done now.  But IMO he still ought to be locked up.

Griffin NoName

;D

Quote from: beagle on April 06, 2010, 12:35:07 PM
Great. A whole month of lies to sit through.

Perhaps some will be creative?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

BTW, seems like the Digital Economy Bill is moving forward. That thing is so broadly written that -unless I'm misunderstanding it- prevent any tourist and student to access the net (no internet cafes, open networks in restaurants, dorm net nor even hotels).

According to the article the LibDems oppose it as the Labservatives are pushing it.

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

It's the job of the Lords to stop the Commons rushing through ill thought out laws. Which of course is why they want to abolish reform it.

I hadn't heard any of the consequences you outlined though.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Quote from: beagle on April 07, 2010, 05:44:01 PM
I hadn't heard any of the consequences you outlined though.

Nor had I.

There's quite a bit of nasty legislation that might just squeeze through at present - bit like an unlucky dip - unless blocked by the Lords.
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

So perogy-ing Parliament there doesn't entail killing off any in-progress bills like it does here?
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

It hasn't been prorogued yet. For example, they had PM Questions this morning as usual. As I understand it they have until the end of this week to rush stuff through. Strangely it takes a while for a parliament to dissolve.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

To my knowledge the lords rushed the bill and now its on commons.

The consequences are in the liability, under the bill a small provider would have to assume the consequences of the actions of those connected, so if an internet cafe is used to download stuff the business can be sued or shut down. IIRC the bill would affect universities too despite a good amount of resistance on their part. For what I read it's quite draconian, to the point of preventing a something like a hotel from offering internet due to the risk of litigation (or at least it has been framed that way).

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 07, 2010, 06:54:55 PM
The consequences are in the liability, under the bill a small provider would have to assume the consequences of the actions of those connected, so if an internet cafe is used to download stuff the business can be sued or shut down. IIRC the bill would affect universities too despite a good amount of resistance on their part. For what I read it's quite draconian, to the point of preventing a something like a hotel from offering internet due to the risk of litigation (or at least it has been framed that way).

They might as well close down the country if this is really so.  :-[
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

From a tourist perspective it would boost the sales of stamps and postcards.  ::)

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: AggieSo perogy-ing Parliament there doesn't entail killing off any in-progress bills like it does here?

In the case of the Finance Bill, aka Budget, quite a few measures have been abandoned, including the 10% on cider.   ;D ;D ;D  When the temporary measure expires at the end of June, the price will go back down unless Labour is in power and pushes the bill through!

This gives us a taste of how the countryside may begin to prosper again under a sane government.  It's been a terrible 13 years.

Griffin NoName

I don't think it has been any worse than the preceding 13 years, or the 13 years preceding that, etc.
Psychic Hotline Host