News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Cartoons and Pictures From The "Land Of NOMIS"

Started by Afterglow, October 01, 2006, 09:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aphos

The rich are SO oppressed.

Several years ago on Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect a Republican apologist actually had the gall to say, "The rich in America are the most oppressed people on Earth."
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

They rich can only be "oppressed" for a very short period of time, usually the guillotine or the firing squad quickly follow (pity what follows for the rest isn't that good either).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 29, 2014, 01:25:21 AM
Quote from: Aggie on October 06, 2014, 06:38:17 PM
This is always my argument for why children should have their father's surname...  they can have your last name if they get my mDNA.  The latter is much more durable and traceable.

Mitochondrial Eve always worries me. It was a very very small gene pool to start with. Is that why we are all idiots?

It says more about the nature of eukaryotic cells than the human genome. Mitochondria are essentially little bacteria-like energy factories that have been engulfed and enslaved (alternatively: housed and coddled) by a larger cell, and don't independently reproduce.  Since they don't have 'sex', there's not much that goes on in terms of reshuffling the genetics, and most daughter mitochondria are identical to their parents.

The human gene pool is separate from this, and while a mitochondrial eve does imply that we are descended from a single mitochondrial 'mother', it's not necessarily a single individual but a genetic tribe of mitochondrial clones, which may have been present across most or all of the proto-humans present during our evolution.  

The current thinking is that all eukaryotic life descended from a single lineage or even one individual cell, so we're pretty inbred with our cousins the plants, fungi, protists and all other animals, if you look far enough back in the family tree.  I don't know what the genetic variance between mitochondria is between the kingdoms, but I'm willing to be that it's much, much less than the cell's own genome.  
WWDDD?

Aphos

Included was this secret message:

"Why should I vote for someone who doesn't know how to ask for help when they need it?"

Aphos

Aphos

Aphos

Aphos

Aggie

Not a cartoon, but a rather amusing picture nonetheless....

I couldn't build a tree house for my son, so I built him a broccoli house instead.
http://brockdavis.tumblr.com/post/6882233270/broccoli-house-i-couldnt-build-a-tree-house-for
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aphos

Aphos

Aphos

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aphos