News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Cartoons and Pictures From The "Land Of NOMIS"

Started by Afterglow, October 01, 2006, 09:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aphos

--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Aphos

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on March 14, 2014, 10:24:25 PM
Some modern reptiles have also descended from dinos.  The two lines split somewhere among the age of dinos, I think.   In that, I seem to recall reading about dino skeletons who had "bird hips" and those who had "lizard hips", the obvious meaning being that during that age, the two groups were already splitting.

Of course, there are also lizard lines which pretty much ignored the whole dino age, and maintained their primitive roots.  Certain sea turtles, and most of the crocodile/alligator groups are such, if my memory is correct-- there are fossil representatives of each group, that pre-date the age of dinos.

Life's messy like that-- sometimes refusing to fall neatly into little boxes.  ::)

This is wrong, Bob.  I am sure others will be telling you the same.  While there is a morphological similarity in the hips of one branch of the dinosaurs to lizards, lizards (nor any other modern reptile) are not descended from them.

The only existent descendents of the dinosaurs we know of are the birds.  Oddly enough, the birds are descended from theropods, which are in the "lizard hip" category...not the "bird hip" group.

Aphos

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 15, 2014, 10:48:53 PM
He buried the dinosaurs to test our faith...  ::)

Da flood killed 'em all...even the ones Jebus rode on.

Afterglow

JUST HERE but sometimes THERE!

Afterglow

Afterglow

Aphos

Aphos

Quote from: Afterglow on March 17, 2014, 08:45:05 PM

What a mess it is getting to be in the Ukraine.  At the risk of sounding Godwin, Putin's attitudes seem to be mirroring Hitlers in the late '30s.  He is very aggressive and territorial, pushing harder each time apparently looking for the limits of what he can get away with and to H#ll with the consequences.  (To be fair, Stalin also had this attitude.)

BTW, way, way back I played a tabletop war game called "War in the East" about the Eastern Front in WWII.  In the Ukraine there is a medium-sized city named Dnipropetrovsk.  I quipped that the Russians had renamed the city to confuse the Germans and lower their morale.

Swatopluk

It's 75 years last week that Hitler swallowed Czechoslovakia and there are indeed a lot of parallels. Only Putin did not wait for another Munich (Crimea being the equivalent of the Sudetenland) and we don't yet know whether he'll try the next bite soon. The pretense is the same in any case: 'to protect our persecuted German/Russian brethren from the evil Czech/Ukrainian nationalists'. And Prague was claimed as the former capitol city of the Holy Roman Empire. What do you think Kiev is for The Rus(sia)? Not to forget military infrastructure.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Afterglow

A Scottish Jew decided to retire and take up golf, so he applied for membership at a local golf club.

About a week later he received a letter that his application has been rejected.

He went to the club to inquire as to why.

Secretary: You are aware that this is a Scottish golf club?

Scot: Aye, but I am as Scottish as you are, ma'am, my name is MacTavish.

Secretary: Do you know that on formal occasions we wear a kilt?

Scot: Aye, I do know, and I wear a kilt too.

Secretary: You are also aware, that we wear nothing under the kilt?

Scot: Aye, and neither do I.

Secretary: Are you also aware, that the members sit naked in the steam room?

Scot: Aye, I also do the same.

Secretary: But you are a Jew?

Scot: Aye, I be that.

Secretary: So, being Jewish, you are circumcised, is that correct?

Scot: Aye, I be that, too.

Secretary: I am terribly sorry, but the members just would not feel comfortable sitting in
the steam room with you, since your privates are different from theirs.

Scot: Ach, I know that you have to be a Protestant to march with the Orangemen and I know that you have to be a Catholic to join the Knights of Columbus but this is the first time I've heard that
you have to be a complete prick to join a golf club!

Aggie

WWDDD?

Afterglow

Ole was hunting geese up in the Minnesota woods.

He leaned the old 12 gauge shotgun against the corner of the blind to take a leak.

As luck would have it, his foolish dog knocked the gun over, it went off and Ole took most of a few ounces of buckshot in the groin.

Several hours later, lying in a Duluth hospital bed, he came to... and
there was his doctor, Sven.

"Vell Ole, I got some good news and some bad news.

Da good news is dat you are going to be OK. Da damage vas local to your groin, dere was very little internal damage, and I vas able to remove all of da buckshot."

"What's the bad news?", asks Ole

"Da bad news is dat dere vas some pretty extensive buckshot damage done
to your pecker. I'm going to have to refer you to my sister, Lena ."

"Well, I guess that isn't too bad," says Ole. "Is your sister a plastic
surgeon?"

"Not exactly," Sven says. "She's a flute player in da Minneapolis
Symphony Orchestra. She's going to teach you vhere to put your fingers,
so you don't pee in your eye."

Aphos

Afterglow