News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Cartoons and Pictures From The "Land Of NOMIS"

Started by Afterglow, October 01, 2006, 09:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afterglow

JUST HERE but sometimes THERE!

Afterglow

JUST HERE but sometimes THERE!

Aggie

Quote from: Afterglow on March 13, 2014, 01:43:57 AM

Why would the powers that be care about public school?  Their children don't go there.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Oh, they care, that is a business opportunity, and you have to see how much money some of those corporations with charter schools are making even if they are statistically worse than the public schools they replaced.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Schools for profit is just as evil (to me) as hospitals-for-profit...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Seeing profits as a good unto themselves, and the greatest good, is the primary evil of our age.

In former eras, one pursued power as a way of obtaining wealth. Now, it's the other way around, although they tend to go hand-in-hand.
WWDDD?

Opsa

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 13, 2014, 11:51:39 AM
Oh, they care, that is a business opportunity, and you have to see how much money some of those corporations with charter schools are making even if they are statistically worse than the public schools they replaced.

Some charter schools are public schools. I went to a free public charter high school and it was always ranked in the top ten for the state.

I've met some wealthy people who object to having to pay taxes that go to the public schools. Why? Because they spent a lot of money on their kid's private education. I guess I need not mention that these particular rich people were also utter dolts.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The definition of a charter school is one of a private administered entity publicly funded (ie, set amount per student paid by the state). There are a few very good charter schools, but the big bulk belong to for profit corporations.

I saw a facebook meme the other day:

"Yes, I pay property taxes that support public education.  No, I have no children myself.  I pay the taxes, because I do not wish to live in a country full of ignorant people."  (I forget who said it)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Funny although inaccurate, those two should be sparrows.  :P

Some modern reptiles have also descended from dinos.  The two lines split somewhere among the age of dinos, I think.   In that, I seem to recall reading about dino skeletons who had "bird hips" and those who had "lizard hips", the obvious meaning being that during that age, the two groups were already splitting.

Of course, there are also lizard lines which pretty much ignored the whole dino age, and maintained their primitive roots.  Certain sea turtles, and most of the crocodile/alligator groups are such, if my memory is correct-- there are fossil representatives of each group, that pre-date the age of dinos.

Life's messy like that-- sometimes refusing to fall neatly into little boxes.  ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The clade dinosauria (and likely some other clades of archosauria), regardless of their hips (saurischia & ornitischia) were already a long evolutionary way from the crocodylomorpha, and even more separated from anapsida (turtles) and lepidosauria (lizards and snakes). The key point here is that the lower limbs were perpendicular to the ground (all 'reptilians' have their femur almost parallel to the ground):

and that all information points to an early development of homothermia (ie, they were 'warm blooded'), among other differences. More so, from saurischia and ornitischia, the survivors were the saurischians (the theropod maniraptors gave way to the Aves clade).

So, no, no modern reptiles have descended from dinosaurs, crocodilians and dinosaurs have a common ancestor but way back (about 230MYA), and the only extant dinosaurs alive today are birds.

Opsa

You're both wrong, The Jeebus made everything just the way it is, and that's that!  :mrgreen:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

He buried the dinosaurs to test our faith...  ::)