News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The Toadfish Cellars

Started by Aggie, October 01, 2006, 05:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Where we store our special reserves, and a place to taste and discuss other spirituous libations of the moment.  Beer, wine, liquours, homebrew, or whatever else you're drinking.

---------

First up...

I finally tried a bottle of Unibroue Quelque Chose...  strong ale steeped with sundried cherries.  It's a 2002 special edition vintage (brewage?), and the card attached 'round the neck suggests drinking it either cold on the rocks or to heat it up like a mulled wine.  Naturally, I had to try both ways.  It's nice cold with a clove flavour along with the cherries...  no head at all and not like a beer (more like a homemade alcoholic cherry and spice iced tea).  Warmed, the clove flavour is lessened and it froths a little more, and makes a nice mug o' something to sooth a cold. 

Recommended if you like something out of the ordinary.

WWDDD?

Aphos

Yes, I know...Very Special Over Priced.  But it is still my favorite spirit to sniff, sip, and contemplate the ways of the universe.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

beagle

Beer   Whisky   Champagne (only when oil is discovered in my back garden)

(picture credits: Youngs, Oddbins, Berry Brothers and Rudd).
The angels have the phone box

The Black Spot

Bah! You only put a bottle of Young's up because the brewery moved out of London last week. Where's it now - Bedford!

Gloating because it's nearer to your neck of the woods?

Griffin NoName

Yaaaaaaaaar. Horse and Carts be more suited to that backwater then London Town.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Aaarggh. London be a fine place. If yer be liking politicians that is.

Round here it be all Greene King, but I got a taste for Youngs when I were working in London (just after the Great Fire).
The angels have the phone box

Opsa

Guiness Extra Stout!

Chimay Belgian Monastery Ale!

Charles " 2 buck Chuck" Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon- my any time table wine!

Krug champagne!

*hic*

Aggie

What's the best place to start on the Chimay (cap colour)?  I've been meaning to try some and have a birthday excuse coming up...

I think a local shop has at least 4 varieties (?).
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Beer:

Wine is harder, for now I'll go with a good bottle of Rioja (spain):

For spirits I like a good Russian vodka (Kubanskaya is so hard to get nowadays, I'll go with stoli)

and the stuff that cannot be sold legally on the States:

As you can see, simple tastes for a simple man. :D
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

The Black Spot

Quote from: NoName on October 01, 2006, 05:46:14 PM
Yaaaaaaaaar. Horse and Carts be more suited to that backwater then London Town.

Aye. I remembers when I were livin' in Battersea. I'd be driving to work through the Wandsworth one-way system when I'd get caught in a traffic jam caused by a huge Young's cart being pulled by 4 shire horses. Utterly ridiculous.

Anyway, this is the thread that Cap'n Cronan was born to post on. I went round his place once - I've never seen such a collection of exotic beers in one place.

Aphos

Quote from: anon1mat0 on October 01, 2006, 09:02:00 PM

For spirits I like a good Russian vodka (Kubanskaya is so hard to get nowadays, I'll go with stoli)

I will grant you, Stoli is very good vodka.  One of my favorite dirinks if I am seriously interested in getting tipsy.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I find Russian vodka as superior to the swedish and finish varieties. I wish it were easier to find Kubanskaya, it is even sweeter than Stoli.  :-\

Teripie

Let me see if I can get this right.........

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Is this what you wanted to show?
;D ;D ;D ;D

Sibling Chatty

Where's that picture of a case of Barq's? ;D

Back before the advent of the Terrible Tumors that prevent my being able to drink ANYTHING with any alcohol (or eat desserts with any alcohol, or have a soup with any wine in it or anything even slightly resembling alcohol, I was a bourbon and water kinda drinker.

(Benchmark, a Seagrams premium brand, not well known, but mucho good, at least until they sold it out and messed with it. I'm talkin' the 70's vintage 8 year and 14 year old stuff with the almost fudge-like aftertaste.)

Wines are variable with vintage and menu, but the better German Eiswein have been favorites. Champagne? Cristal, but only if someone else with LOTS of money is buying. (I had a 1979 vintage bottle, a good, but not great year, but I held it until my first goddaughter, born in '77, married, and gave it to her at her wedding.)

Yes, Canadians, I know y'all are making some excellent ice wines, but I can't try them anymore... :'( :'(
This sig area under construction.