News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Easy Questions?

Started by Swatopluk, November 15, 2006, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

Doved?! I don't believe I've heard that one before.

"This is what it sounds like
When doves dive..."

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Griffin NoName

Think I meant dived. I can no longer cope with English.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Drive?  Drove, driven?  

Dive?  Dived.  Diver, dove?  (as in I dove off that cliff in a fit of insanity.)

And, of course, dovetail.

English is weird, that's for sure-- it's no wonder that some folk just make up names from a seemingly random assortment of characters for their children.

Perhaps they are driven to do so.  ;)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

How does ear wax work it's way uphill and exit the ear?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

roystonoboogie

Probably by the action of cilia, the little hairs in your ears. By the time you are fifty, the cilia have become the luxuriant, bushy handlebar moustache growing out of your ears; and you start to go deaf. Not a coincidence, I suspect.

Griffin NoName

So an in-ear shaver would be a good invention?

Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 21, 2014, 01:56:00 AM
So an in-ear shaver would be a good invention?

Indeed and same for the nose (for the latter there are already models on the market)

Swatopluk

Is there a preference in ballet for clockwise motions (both of the individual dancers and choreographed groups)?

I am not a true expert on ballet (more of an opera guy) but on several occasions I got the impression that on stage clockwise movements occurred significantly more often than counterclockwise ones unless an asymmetric stage design (placement of ramps and stairs for example) forces moves into the other direction. Coincidence or is it indeed more common and, if yes, why?

Griffin NoName

I think you are right. When  I think of a ballerina spinning on points it is always clockwise. Is this because they always do, or merely a vaguery of my brain. I think it might be like right-handedness - the common default - clockwise is after all how time clocks work. But what if a ballerina were to spin through the earth to Australia from Europe? Would they still be spinning clockwise when they reached Australia?
Psychic Hotline Host

roystonoboogie

Isn't it obvious which way she's spinning?

Griffin NoName

It's obvious she needs to put some clothes on.

If no one looks at this page ever again, will she always be spinning?
Psychic Hotline Host

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 13, 2014, 11:25:29 PM
If no one looks at this page ever again, will she always be spinning?
Bishop Berkeley? Is that you?

ivor

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

With a bit of concentration, I can get her to "spin" in either direction.   But I've always been a lucid dreamer, so... maybe that's it.

Of course, I used to practice "flipping" the Lunar maps that National Geographic used to publish alongside Apollo reports... and by that, I mean if you look at the Lunar craters one way, the look like normal craters. But if you look at them another way, the "flip" and appear to be bumps instead.

I spent many childhood hours making them jump in and out...

... which might explain certain things later in life.... heh.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)