News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Mixed Bag

Started by Opsa, September 08, 2011, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

The Navy has a few odd expressions:

An officer's annual report includes what is called a "flimsy" a short summary.  

The most desired flimsy simply states This officer has conducted himself to my entire satisfaction.
Not quite so satisfactory is This officer has conducted himself to my satisfaction.

Probably apocryphal flimsies include:

This officer has conducted himself to his entire satisfaction.

This officer has used my ship as a means of transport from one cocktail party to the next.

There are also a number of terms not usually encountered in ordinary (land lubber) conversation:
goffa - any carbonated soft drink
maccas - sweets or lollies (candy to the USians)
scran - food (an acronym for Sh*t Cooked by the Royal Australian Navy)
redders - tomato sauce (ketchup)
maggot bag - a meat pie
duff - any type of steamed pudding
banyan - a barbeque
the goofers - a location high on the island of the carrier where one can view air operations in (relative) safety
the squarie - one's spouse, a reference to a ship being square rigged as opposed to fore and aft rigged like a yacht which is relatively free of the wind
round rig - uniform worn by junior sailors
square rig - uniform worn by senior sailors and officers
make and mend - officially granted free time during working hours, particularly knocking off early

Just a few, there are many more, a lot of which are far too vulgar to include here!

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Oh, my delicate sensibilities!  ;D

Yesterday I saw a license plate that read "OOROO", and remembered our Ozzie neighbors who said "OOROO" for "goodbye".

Swatopluk

German has the strange idiom 'in (a) monkey tooth' (in einem Affenzahn) for 'very fast'

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bluenose

Quote from: Opsa on October 05, 2011, 03:45:20 PM
Oh, my delicate sensibilities!  ;D

Yesterday I saw a license plate that read "OOROO", and remembered our Ozzie neighbors who said "OOROO" for "goodbye".

Way back when after my paternal grandparents had migrated to Oz from Pommieland (UK), they had met a couple at some function or other who had said "see you later" when they left which is Ozzie for goodbye, just like ooroo.  My grandparents waited up quite late for them to come around "later".

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

"See you later" is standard phrasing here.  Surely it's spread since?

I can't recall if it's an Aussie or Pommie phrase, but I heard a story once about the phrase "I'll knock you up in the morning" being said to a woman from the US, and causing some raised eyebrows.

In Amrikan, it means something entirely different than knocking on the door.    ;)
WWDDD?

Bluenose

Yes,  rather like saying that you root for some football team - this expression will be met with surprise and much hilarity because in Strine* root when used as a verb means something altogether more fundamentally biological.  Here we say that you barrack for your team.

*Strine = broad Australian English

Swatopluk

Is there anything with more synonyms/euphemisms than 'it'? :mrgreen:
"Oh, that's what you call it these days?"

Opsa

We say "see you later" or "catch you later" in the U.S. I always thought of "ooroo" as sort of like "tootle-oo", which is not used here very much any more.

Our Ozzie neighbors also called cats "pussies", which made us giggle like the immature jerks we were. Ah, youth... My mother thought they were telling her to take cyanide for a headache, but they were suggesting Sine-Aid, a sinus headache medicine!

Bluenose

I have been known to say when departing "Well, I'll be off now, like a bucket of prawns in the sun".

pieces o nine

Or... "make like a tree, and leaf."

Or... (and this *only* in a very small town!) "make like a baby, and head out."

:o
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

In German a common colloquial term for cat is Muschi, which has the same connotations as pussy in English.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Make like the shepherd, and let's get the flock outta here.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Aggie

It's not a common expression, but one descriptor for a difficult task that I like:

"It's like taking the 'f' out of (the word) 'way'."

for those who are scratching their heads: there's no f in way
   ;)
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Quote from: Aggie on October 11, 2011, 12:29:20 AM
for those who are scratching their heads: there's no f in way   ;)

...unless of course you are German in a US movie