News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Mixed Bag

Started by Opsa, September 08, 2011, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

Quote from: anthrobabe on September 10, 2011, 03:24:00 AMVery interesting to hear that it has some carry over and has some Czech l language roots possibly--- and a quick look i've learned that the Czech language is very inflective and that inflection really lends meaning to the words. 
I remember only a few often-repeated terms.
(Please overlook schpellingk as I have no idea, and I'm not going to try to copy/pasted proper dictionary-style IPA symbols.)

MRRRRRCH!   That's a trilled R, but the word was delivered short and sharp, a command.
It meant, Be *quiet*, you! 

PUTCH'kie  There was almost a hint of a trill somewhere in the first syllable, but just a hint.
It meant, Just a *minute*, you! 

chHO'nem  The initial, lower case ch indicates one of the t(hroat-clearing) sounds from Semitic languages, but not as strong as the one in a Scottish loch. The H itself was strongly aspirated. 
It meant, Hurry *up*, you! 

These three have always proved handy when talking to cats.  :catroll:

Quote from: anthrobabeWhat do people in other places say to indicate an actor that is over the top or cut rate? 
Your link missed two favorites of mine: chewing the scenery for someone overacting, and chewing the curtains (can't find a ready corroborating link) for an amateur actor who won't die quickly with dignity on stage, but continues writhing around, clutching at the protruding knife or whatever, and ad-libbing about their agony and imminent demise, hogging all the audience laughter attention, even if the curtain has fallen on their scene.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

:offtopic:

That last one reminds me of a story about Catherine Hepburn (as I recall-- I may have the wrong deva here).

A young actress was going on and on in a real stage play about how good she was, and how much better she was than "the old hag" (Hepburn) and so on, when Hepburn walked in on the braggart.

Hepburn, in an ice-cold voice "Young lady, I am so much better than you'll ever be, I can upstage you when I'm not even on stage" and gracefully exits.

The play had a lovely solo scene with the younger actress displaying quite the range of emotions, center stage.  But right before that, there is a scene with both Hepburn's character and the younger actress's.  She and Hepburn had an exchange of dialog, while Hepburn was holding a wine glass. The scene concludes with Hepburn placing the wine glass on the mantle of the fireplace, turning and exiting the stage.

That night, at the conclusion of their dialog, Hepburn puts the glass, as usual, on the mantle-- only not quite-- it's literally 1/2 on and 1/2 off the mantle, hanging there, perchance to fall.

So that during the soliloquy, the younger actress is completely upstaged by that hanging glass--will it fall or not?  When?  The audience's attention is riveted to the impending breakage....  speeches over, curtain.   And the stage hand discovered that on the bottom of that wineglass, a piece of double-sided sticky-tape....

.... never mess with a master:  they are older and wiser than you, and have faced many a challenge and either won, or learned from losing.  That's usually how they got to be where they are.

:)

/END :offtopic:
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

I love Kate Hepburn. I can see her doing that.

pieces o nine

Swato used a variant of "It's all Greek to me" in another thread.

What language do *other* languages known to the Siblings use to symbolize "I can't understand this"?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Griffin NoName

Surely everyone uses Greek except the Greeks ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Chinese (usually in combination with a profession: Beamtenchinesisch (bureaucratese), Versicherungschinesisch (insurance lingo) etc.
It implies language that is deliberately confusing.
Spanish (Das kommt mir Spanisch vor).
This is not limited to language but stands more general for 'I do not undertsand this, there is something strange/wrong here'
Latin on the other hand stands for untruthful or exaggerated tales: Jägerlatein, Anglerlatein (The fish was soooooo big)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

"Pardon my French" is used to excuse profanities here. Tabernac!
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

Yes, we say that in the U.S. as well.

We also refer to out-of-the-way areas as "Egypt", "Bumf*@# Egypt", or "Bumblef*@# Egypt".

My sister tells me that in Greece people will often tap their forehead and say "kidneys", which we take to be a comment on someone's thought process.

pieces o nine

Quote from: Opsa on September 26, 2011, 07:32:25 PM...
We also refer to out-of-the-way areas as "Egypt", "Bumf*@# Egypt", or "Bumblef*@# Egypt".
I haven't heard that...

But then, I've always referred to a *really* out of the way kind of place as "Sheep's Nostrils, Wyoming".   :D

Aggie

I've heard the second flavour of Ops's example, but with the relevant province instead of Egypt.   We have actual out-of-the-way places such as Westward Ho, Alberta, Spuzzum, BC and Dildo, Newfoundland that make Sheep's Nostrils seem like a fairly reasonable place name. ;)
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Since Pratchett the canonical place is Power Cable, Nebraska.

The/A German term for very far away is 'where the pepper grows'. It is usually used if one wishes someone/thing to be/go far away.

Is the term 'behind the moon' for ignorance of generally known facts used in English too? Use: Are you living behind the moon or what?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: SwatoIs the term 'behind the moon' for ignorance of generally known facts used in English too? Use: Are you living behind the moon or what?
No, we don't say that. dict.cc gives 'Have you been living under a rock?' for 'Lebst du hinter dem Mond?', but I've never heard it.  I don't know a good equivalent, except the recent fashion for enquiring what planet a person has been on.

I didn't know '(jdn. dahin wünschen,) wo der Pfeffer wächst' either.  Thanks.

Aggie

I've heard (well, probably read) 'over the moon' for a state of extreme happiness, although it's rare.  

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 27, 2011, 09:55:50 AM
The/A German term for very far away is 'where the pepper grows'. It is usually used if one wishes someone/thing to be/go far away.

The expression 'where the sun don't shine' is somewhat related but used differently, as in 'you can take your _____ and stick it where the sun don't shine'.  It's rather strong language, with anatomical implications.  :o

Is 'What planet are you from?' back in fashion again? That one seems outdated to me. ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

References to a far away place in Spanish are frequently done in cussing mode: en la mierda, or , en la p*ta mierda, (in the sh!t, or in the f*cking sh!t).

Also, to be 'in the moon' (en la luna) means to be distracted/absentminded.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.