News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Swato's New Game of Cards

Started by Swatopluk, August 31, 2011, 09:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

I came up with a game of cards and now at last found the time to write it down.
I would be interested in your opinion.

Matchit?

A strictly tactical game of cards for 4 players

Material: A set of numbered cards 4 times 1 to X (X between 10 and 20)

One player is designated SETTER (S), the other 3 are FOLLOWERS (ABC).
A game is played over 4 rounds (of X tricks), so each player fills the position of SETTER once.

Each player at the beginning of each round receives a subset of cards 1 to X, i.e. all players start with the same hand.

The person designated as SETTER selects one of his cards and puts it on the table face-up.
All 3 FOLLOWERs then select one of theirs and put it on the table face-down.
Now the cards on the table are turned face-up.
One or more FOLLOWER cards can MATCH the SETTER card (=have the same number) or not.

If a single FOLLOWER matches the SETTER, he takes the trick.

SABC
=> B takes and gets 22 points

If two FOLLOWERS match the SETTER, the one FOLLOWER not matching takes the trick.

SABC
=> A takes and gets 24 points

IF all three FOLLOWERS match the SETTER, the SETTER takes the trick.

SABC
=> S takes and gets 32 points

If no FOLLOWER matches the SETTER, their cards are compared.

If one FOLLOWER has played a card with a higher number than the other FOLLOWERS, he takes the trick.
It does not matter what card the SETTER has played.

SABC
=> B takes and gets 22 points

Should there be a match between two FOLLOwERS playing the highest card, their cards are discarded.

Variant 1: SETTER and non-matching FOLLOWER each retain their card

SABC
=> S gets 7, A gets 3, B&C get nothing

Variant 2: Non-matching FOLLOWER takes his and the SETTER's card.

SABC
=> C gets 10 points, the others get nothing

If all three FOLLOWERS match each other, the SETTER retains his card, the cards of the FOLLOWERS get discarded.

SABC
=> S gets 3 points, ABC get nothing

-------

Assuming that all players can keep in mind which cards have already been played, they are always fully informed about the current situation since each started with the same subset of cards. So, unlike traditional card games, this should be pure tactics and psychology and not deduction/guessing of the opponent's hand. With only 3 players (SAB) it would not work since there is only one possible strategy: always match. Each round would end with all cards in the hand of the SETTER => draw. If one player would not follow that strategy even for a single trick, he would hand victory to the player always matching. In the 4 player version this is avoided because a trick can be taken by non-matching against 2 matchers or by matching against two non-matchers.
The SETTER can influence the game by e.g. playing a card he knows only one of the FOLLOWERs still possesses, so that player can get a guaranteed single match and take the trick. This would be naturally used to steer points away from a FOLLOWER too successful. More complicated would be a strategy to lure certain cards out, increasing the probability of matches between FOLLOWERS because that (esp. in Variant 1) can lead to the SETTER retaining his card while denying points to the FOLLOWERS.
As I see it, the game is (distantly) related to the Prisoner's Dilemma. The way to win is to be the single dissenter.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

In my present frame of mind I would struggle to learn the rules. But take me back a few years and I'd be up for it!
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

It sounds quite intriguing, Swato; I like the emphasis on strategy over luck.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677