News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

An invitation to the Land Downunder...

Started by Bluenose, June 16, 2011, 09:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Just found this on the net, haven't heard it for a long time, but I thought I might share it with the siblings.  Make sure your sound is on.

Come to Australia
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

WWDDD?

Opsa

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :yar:

'Ats why poirates loik it so  much!

Swatopluk

The Aborigines (or their precursors) got rid of the BIG nasties (apart from the crocs) and left the wee toxic ones.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bluenose

The pedant in me noticed that the photo of a tiapan is really of a death adder, the tiger snake is a tiapan and the cone shell ("something that lives in a shell and jabs you when you pick it up") is a photo of a harmless hermit crab.  Plus the echidna is one of the more innocuous (albeit spikey) animals here, I don't know why it's photo is included  But, hey, let's not allow the TruthTM to get in the way of a good joke....
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I imagine the spikes make it interesting, as the venomous gland of the platypus which I imagine isn't deadly but for the very young, old and weak. Heck, the koala attack proves that while likely not deadly, may be quite an experience. The natural world is a dangerous place (I heard a tale and saw pictures of a shark attack in Cancun which is a place where sharks are by definition rare). I was in the middle of the jungle at times and I'm sure there were dangers lurking around but the chances of real danger are generally low unless you are incredibly stupid or unlucky.

I'm not scared of Australia.

Yet. ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

Actually, echidnas are one of my favourite animals.  Like platypuses they are monotremes (means literally "one hole" due to the fact hey have a cloacka or single reproductive/elimination opening), which are egg laying mammals.  Their back feet look like they're on backwards.  Their mouth is a hole at the end of their probiscus with a long sticky tongue that whips out and mops up ants and termites with great alacrity.  I just love 'em!

The spurs on the back legs of the male platypus can give you a very nasty sting.  I have not heard of any fatalities but I do know someone who has been stung and he reckons it is the most painful thing he has ever experienced.  It is generally reckoned to be so by the experts as well, plus it has the added benefit that opiate drugs - indeed all known pain killers - have exactly zero effect on it - plus the pain lasts for about 6 weeks.  Nice.  OTOH, platypus have the most lovely fine dense fur imaginable.  It is so fine that it does not get wet when they swim, unlike other aquatic mammals that usually rely on natural oils to keep dry.  I can vouch for how soft and absoutely georguous it is to touch.  Also their bill is soft and rubbery to the touch, not at all what you might imagine by looking at it.

Although we have IIRC seven of the ten most dangerous snakes in the world, including all of the top five, and saltwater crocodiles will quite happily have you for lunch any time, and there are deadly spiders lurking in the wood pile in many places, not to mention the previously mentioned cone fish (can kill in a few minutes) as well as the blue ringed octopuses (also deadly in a few minutes) plus box jelly fish and irakanji, there's really not much here to worry about.  Oh, the dingo might give you a nip, but only if you're careless...

All joking aside, it is true that with a few sensible precautions, Oz is a pretty safe place to visit.  No large predators to worry about (except for the afformentioned salt water crocs - and they only live in the top end)  Just donl;t tell anyone, right?  Otherwise they'll all want to come here...  :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

Don't forget the jellyfish.
Btw, echidna is originally a Greek word for a species of snake. St.Paul got bitten by one after his famous shipwreck.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.