News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

My Houseplants are the Pits!

Started by Aggie, February 01, 2007, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruder Cuzzen

Bruder Cuzzen

To ena hav munz...opps sorry I've been at sea to long.

Two and a half months have passed since I took the knife to the Ti plant.I am happy to report that it still lives!

I was worried for a bit since the lower leaves kept drying and dying without any signs of slowing down.

Though the tip stayed green the entire time  no growth was observed until today...Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

Aggie

A week or two ago a random avocado pit I tossed in the plant bins decided to sprout - it's now towering well over the rest of the jungle.

That living wall is also filling in nicely.
WWDDD?

Bruder Cuzzen

I just finished these gargantuan mangoes...in one , the seed had split open revealing the baby inside ,its sitting in water still . I'm hoping it will bear fruit someday .

Aggie

It may not make fruit, but they are lovely plants.  I'd recommend potting it up once you see which way the root is headed (take the 'bean' with the baby out of the seed husk), and giving it as much warmth and sunlight as possible. 

They have quite a large taproot to start with, so if you can find a very deep pot to start it in, this will help.  I started my jackfruit seedling by filling a length of 4" ABS pipe (the black plastic sewer pipe) with potting soil, and placing it inside of one of my large planters, so that the jackfruit will be able to send down roots, but not get tangled with the rest of its pot mates.  Seems to be working so far, and something like this would work for the mango, although maybe larger diameter (6" ?).

Restricting the roots on the mango seems to restrict the growth as well; mine has not grown much this summer even though I've had it outside (oh!  It's been rainy and cold today - I should bring it inside).  They do like it to be humid as well, so that may be why it's not happy.  It generally goes through a growth spurt in winter when we have good sun through the glass doors and I have the humidifier running all the time.
WWDDD?

Opsa

A good friend gave me a giant bromeliad last year. I seperated three pups from the main plant and two of them bloomed this year!

They are giant single blooms, one per plant. They have spiky pink heads on two-foot stems, with a number of bluish-purple buds peeking out from the concentric rows of spikes.These buds don't quite open all the way, but seem to want to stay in a tubular form, maybe like knifofia?

It's very exotic-looking.

Edit: see photo below.

Aggie

Beautiful!  I've been thinking about getting a worn-out bromeliad and scavaging pups....  how easy is it?

(I swear I'm going to start dumpster diving for tired old plants behind some of the corporate plant service providers here...  there are MANY beautiful corporate conservatories and potted displays in the downtown, so all those plants must go somewhere when they start looking tatty... I'll bet they are just tossed rather than nursed to health).
WWDDD?

Opsa

Unbelieveably easy. I just dug up the momma, snapped off the pups from her base and re-planted them. Then I just took care of them like any plant.

I suspect you could probably build a fine houseplant business from retrieving and reviving discarded office plants.  8)

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Guess what?!

So... last year after Hallowe'en, we plunked our pumpkin in the garden.  This spring, a pumpking plant sprung up and now we've got a nice big green pumpkin well on its way to being a right and proper Jack O'Lantern!

My wife is a kick-butt gardener.  I'm beginning to suspect that she may be part dryad.   ;D

Bruder Cuzzen

My mango sprout grew legs and run off a few days ago , but I notice the avocado pit has split open ........

Aggie

Especially when I am sitting at the computer, I tend to just poke any pits I have into the closest pot. This has led to a few "And whom may you be?" moments with new sprouts.  The last set that I figured out were the loquats, but just a couple of days ago I noticed some spiky-leaved upstarts in the mango pot.  Turns out they were the date pits I threw in there MONTHS ago.

(My poor mango was formerly the largest pot in the house, and bore the brunt.  It sulks with a rather shocked look on its face in a pot with dragonfruit, loquat, date palms and a couple of bushy young spider plants.)

EDIT: ....and apparently one new plant I've ever seen.  Going to be a tricky transplant when the pot needs changing.
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Opsanus tau on August 10, 2007, 04:43:02 PM
A good friend gave me a giant bromeliad last year. I seperated three pups from the main plant and two of them bloomed this year!

They are giant single blooms, one per plant. They have spiky pink heads on two-foot stems, with a number of bluish-purple buds peeking out from the concentric rows of spikes.These buds don't quite open all the way, but seem to want to stay in a tubular form, maybe like knifofia?

It's very exotic-looking.

Edit: see photo below.

Very pretty fasciata (Aechmea fasciata) or Silver Vase brom. They're more difficult to get to grow from pups that other species, like Guzmanias or some of the Neoregelias. The bloom is perfect!
This sig area under construction.