News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Plants really do talk to each other

Started by Griffin NoName, August 08, 2012, 10:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Low level communication sounds quite logical and equivalent to chemical communication, just confirming the evolutionary complexity of plants, the question would be if those are an equivalent to baseline emotional responses on animals and/or what would be the evolutionary advantage of those.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

It's the clicks that seem more impressive.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

If the plants could run away, the clicks would seem to be more useful.

Opsa

True, what can they do about a threat, anyway?

Still, I can hear a quiet, high-pitched ringing from plants. It gets louder right after you water them, and disappears when they are dead. If I listen really hard to a plant, I can tell if it's still alive, even if it looks dead. I don't know whether it's capillary vibration or what, but it's there. It may not be meant as intended communication, but it communicates to me whether or not the plant is capable of drawing up water.

If a living plant can make a sound, I wonder if insects can sense it, and locate where healthy plants may be growing.

I guess that the question is really whether the communication is willful or passive. A moth may communicate a warning to predators through a similarity in the pattern of its wings to the face of an owl, but it is not trying to do this. It has just had success in its evolution because of the pattern. It is communicating something, but not intentionally.

Sibling DavidH

Interesting, but perhaps the real issue is: do we think Prince Charles should be talking to them?  Because he does, or used to, and he's going to be our king.

Roland Deschain

I've read a few studies over the years into chemical signals given off by plants under attack, and also into the effects of music on them (I believe Mozart of Bach were the most effective at increasing growth), but i've not heard of the clicks before. As our knowledge progresses, more and more do we realise how much we still have to learn.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on August 10, 2012, 07:39:40 PM
If the plants could run away, the clicks would seem to be more useful.

Actually, there's quite a lot they can do in the face of danger. Close up, put out offensive smell, change colour, and hide under the bed.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Aggie

Quote from: Opsa on August 11, 2012, 04:38:05 PM
If a living plant can make a sound, I wonder if insects can sense it, and locate where healthy plants may be growing.

I guess that the question is really whether the communication is willful or passive. A moth may communicate a warning to predators through a similarity in the pattern of its wings to the face of an owl, but it is not trying to do this. It has just had success in its evolution because of the pattern. It is communicating something, but not intentionally.

They tend to dodge healthy plants.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that insects could hear the sound of a sick plant.   Hmmm...  shouldn't be impossible in that case to set up superstimulus auditory traps for pest insects...  play them the sound of a sick plant at an increased level, to attract them. It's like using the sound of a hurt rabbit to call in a coyote (I disagree with hunting predators quite strongly, but such things are done).
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on August 11, 2012, 06:25:25 PM
Interesting, but perhaps the real issue is: do we think Prince Charles should be talking to them?  Because he does, or used to, and he's going to be our king.
Is that potted plant able to communicate?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pieces o nine

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on August 14, 2012, 10:27:26 PM
Quote from: Sibling DavidH on August 11, 2012, 06:25:25 PM
Is that potted plant able to communicate?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Perhaps one misunderstood Lord DavidH.  HRH is rumored to have talked to plants. There is no rumor that they deigned to reply.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: pieces o nine on August 15, 2012, 02:09:25 AM
HRH is rumored to have talked to plants.
So the potted plant is capable of talking! Perhaps it was to basic for the actual plant to understand.  :mrgreen:

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: Spike MilliganI talk to the trees, that's why they locked me away...