News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

HALP! Fungus attacking my houseplants!

Started by Aggie, August 30, 2010, 01:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

That's probably a good way to get rid of them, provided you are careful to spray every surface.

Here is a good article on mealybug control.

Aggie

Thanks for the link, Ops.  :)

*grumble*

That's a lot of spraying, I've a lot of plants.  I'm trying to figure out whether I should keep using dish detergent as an emulsifier, or dissolve the oil in an alcohol base.  The latter will cause more damage to the mealies (and possibly the plants), but I have concerns about detergent buildup in the soil.

The first thing I'm going to do is haul off all the smaller plants to the shower for a spraydown to knock off as many mealies as possible.

This explains the spotty, sudden appearance of 'mold' in strange locations on various plants.  They are spreading quite quickly to new victims.  Hopefully I don't have to nuke the whole garden off - I don't likely have time to get this treated in the next week or two. :P
WWDDD?

Opsa

Drag! I wonder if you can just get a tub of soapy water and just invert each plant and swish it out. Of course, that's a lot of labor, too.

Aggie

Given my penchant for pendulous vines, I think the spray will be easier.  Maybe I can neem 'em in the tub after a hosedown (allowing some drip-dry time first).  Neem is reputed to have some systemic effects, so a heavy enough dose to partially soak the soil might have some residual benefits - might help with fungus gnats too.
WWDDD?