News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Congrats to Down Under, on equalizing marriage

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, December 05, 2013, 01:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

http://www.freedomtomarry.org/blog/entry/same-sex-couples-will-begin-marrying-in-australia-on-saturday

(excerpt from link)

Same-sex couples will begin marrying in Australia on Saturday

By Adam Polaski
Dec 03, 2013 at 05:00 pm

Today, the High Court in Australia announced that it will reserve judgment on a freedom to marry law passed earlier this year in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) for Thursday, December 12. Since the legislation declares that the freedom to marry will take effect in the ACT beginning December 7, the High Court's decision means that couples will be able to legally marry this Saturday.

The ACT is the first territory in Australia where same-sex couples will be able to marry.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on December 05, 2013, 01:17:49 AM
Same-sex couples will begin marrying in Australia on Saturday

Goodness, however long does it take for such a marriage to be completed?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bluenose

Yeah, well, don't be too happy just yet.  The Federal government is taking the matter to the High Court.  The ACT Act relies on the fact that under Federal marriage law, a marriage is defined as between a man and a woman and so the ACT has received advice that this gives some wriggle room to legislate for marriage between same sex couples.  I honestly don't know how the High Court will rule, it has said that it will hand down its ruling on Wednesday, giving a 5 day grace period for some people to get married, even if it becomes invalid on Wednesday.  To be honest I hope the High Court rules that by narrowing the definition in the Federal law the Commonwealth government has out-smarted itself and I hope the ACT law stands.  What I really hope for is that the federal pollies grow some and accept what, as recent surveys suggest, about 75% of the Australian population accept: that if same sex couple want to get married they should be allowed to.  Here's hoping.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

75% is a healthy margin. 

So even if it doesn't work out this time?  That is sufficient mojo to see it done sooner than later.

Over here in Biblestania?  The margins are much closer to 50/50, and not even that good in some localized areas.

So I think it's still cause for a celebratory drink, as the issue is being hashed out in public as it were. 

Progress either way.

:downit:

Griffin NoName

I'd be happier if they abolished marriage altogether.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

A marriage is between a master and a serf or between the wealth of two families? ;) :P
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

LOL ^ & ^^

Yeah, well I think most Aussies are of the opinion that there is no good reason that gay and lesbian couples should get a "get out of jail free" pass when it comes to wedded "bliss"...

;)
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Same in the bible belt of the USA. But around the edges of this confusing nation, there is more and more allowance of gay marriage. It happens in fits and starts, just as it seems to be doing in Aussieland. Eventually it will likely be accepted throughout. You're always going to have those folks who will balk on the grounds of tradition, but they will eventually die off. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Opsa on December 06, 2013, 06:24:01 PM
I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Yes,  as generations drop off the end, younger generations won't know any different. Until we mount the barricades in protest.
Psychic Hotline Host

Isn't it ever thus?

Old traditions, which are often kept long past their "sell by" date, are often clung to in spite of everyone having totally forgotten why they were started at the outset.

But gradually, they morph into something different, as each new generation knows a little less about the origins, and only knows how it's done today.

Just like Giftmas, here in the US.   From whence came the Traditional red and green?   Wherefore did we start putting glittery strips of shiny metallic plastic onto equally plastic simulated "trees"?    And so on. 

As we march ever forward into the Undiscovered Country, there will be those who wish to remain behind. 

I'm just happy to have lived to see what progress I have seen. 

Bluenose

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on December 06, 2013, 08:27:15 PM
As we march ever forward into the Undiscovered Country, there will be those who wish to remain behind. 

What, there're Klingons ahead?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The Klingongs are traditionalist, honor bound warmongers, I'd say the ones staying behind are the Klingons or at the very least Klingon-like.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.