News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Musings on the Queen's Speech - Opening of Parliament 2013

Started by pieces o nine, May 13, 2013, 04:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

So I just watched this on C-SPAN2 and I must say I was enchanted.

With my most recent bid for the papacy brushed aside so cavalierly, I am looking for other governing bodies which might benefit from my particular skill set and (not having the Right Stuff for Swedish Loco Operator, alas!) am now turning a speculative eye towards the UK. Starting tomorrow I shall practice each day intoning from a sheaf of parchment, beginning each sentence with a sonorous (if slightly quavering) "My Government Will..."

Seriously, her speech was interesting, although I found myself rudely asking, "How does one propose to achieve that goal?" after each point. I am curious as to the reactions of the UK siblings.

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~
I think that requiring members of the US Senate and Congress to dress up in wigs and full regalia from the days of 1776 upon Convening each January, when attending the President's State of the Union Address, during all electioneering debates, or when lying to their constituents at their local "Town Hall Listening Meeting/Photo Ops" would be a fantastic  step in the right direction. If they were required to shout, "Huzzah, huzzah," or "Rubbish! Rubbish!" (as befit the occasion) it would also be great. Anyone suspected of stuffing his codpiece would be called before a special Senate Subcommittee, and, uh, formally dressed down...

Finally, I realize that while my avatar has an impressive wardrobe of headdresses, there is a glaring lack of Caps of Maintenance  among them. My Government will look into this at one's earliest opportunity.
:)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

As I think the last remaining Brit, apart from when Pachy turns up, I have to say the Queen's speech was dull, and frightening. Knowing what is meant by the brief phrases that in themselves give nothing away - ie. references to welfare actually mean "we are going to withdraw benefits from people and we don't care if they starve" - is a turn off.

The Pomp and Circumstance does rather dress up the proposed bills but again is really just a lot of tosh, given HRH has no power. One does tend to take it for granted. The most interesting fact is that it takes 3 days for the ink to dry on the vellum from which HRH reads.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Although I guess EI would appreciate EII as a person, she'd be horrified what became of the monarchy sinking to a level of the queen/king being just the herald of the actual government.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Indeed. And it is probably causing Edward VIII to turn in his grave that HRH The Prince of Wales was allowed to marry a divorcee.  :o
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

^ One noticed that she seemed rather ... determined ... to stick to her spot, waving down at the peeps, while Charles began striding for the carriage. One smiled just a bit when he had to turn around and trot back to her side, while she continued waving, waving, in her fugly dress and pumps...

:giggle:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Pity the Succession Act of 2013 doesn't include a protocol to skip the Heir Apparent if the prince in question is an idiot.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Swatopluk on May 13, 2013, 11:00:07 AM
Although I guess EI would appreciate EII as a person, she'd be horrified what became of the monarchy sinking to a level of the queen/king being just the herald of the actual government.
Could I just throw in the traditional Scottish grumble that Elizabeth Windsor is the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland? Elizabeth I of England died in 1603 without issue, the Union of the Crowns of 1603 allowed the reigning monarch of Scotland, James VI (Elizabeth's first cousin twice removed), to claim the throne of both England and Scotland.

Elizabeth II is the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 13, 2013, 04:43:46 AM
As I think the last remaining Brit, apart from when Pachy turns up, I have to say the Queen's speech was dull, and frightening. Knowing what is meant by the brief phrases that in themselves give nothing away - ie. references to welfare actually mean "we are going to withdraw benefits from people and we don't care if they starve" - is a turn off.
Most of the scary welfare stuff is already enacted and has been voted on. The problem is, the details of welfare reform were astonishingly vague and not detailed in the Acts themselves.

What happens next is that either the Minister in question or a Committee will create Statutory Instruments to firm up the details. But Statutory Instruments are not subject to Parliamentary debate and usually slide by under the media radar because they are a bit dull and don't involve MPs waving order papers and harrumphing at each other. But the real "F**k you, poor people" details will be buried in the Statutory Instruments.

I work in Independent Advocacy with a lot of people with learning difficulties, mental health problems, disabilities,  long-term conditions and illnesses. We work closely with Citizens Advice to help people deal with the cuts in their income and the cuts in their services that are impoverishing them and stopping them from having any sort of a life.

Business is booming for us. For the rest of the community, that is a bad sign.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: roystonoboogie on May 26, 2013, 10:32:31 AM
Elizabeth II is the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland.
...................What happens next is that either the Minister in question or a Committee will create Statutory Instruments to firm up the details........................................

.............................I work in Independent Advocacy with a lot of people with learning difficulties, mental health problems, disabilities,  long-term conditions and illnesses. We work closely with Citizens Advice to help people deal with the cuts in their income and the cuts in their services that are impoverishing them and stopping them from having any sort of a life.

Business is booming for us. For the rest of the community, that is a bad sign.

I bow to Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland  ;D

The new DLA, PIP, (disability benefit) is going to make so many people housebound as well as impoverished. I think the figure is approx. 500,000 people who have been on DLA to be denied PIP. It is solely a cost cutting exercise and has nothing to do with improving support for the most vulnerable as the govt. present it. It's hardly been noticed as the other welfare cuts are the ones being talked about.

IDS is to be questioned by the DWP committee on his use (or rather, mis-use) of statistiics. There's a petition:
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/work-pensions-committee-hold-ids-to-account-for-his-use-of-statistics-2
Psychic Hotline Host

goat starer

Quote from: Griffin NoName on May 13, 2013, 04:43:46 AM
As I think the last remaining Brit

i dispute this!

All I can say is that there is no hope for the people I work with in the policies of this government. Our lost generation is turning into an epoch. I long for the day for a properly radical overhaul of welfare that helps people work. Karl Marx said "from each according to his means" a drive to effort... we need to recreate the link between effort and reward (not the achievement and reward favoured by conservatives). I dont see anything that will do this.

That said.. I think the queen looked great in cauliflower hair and ermine (I'm surprised heston bluhmental is not serving that at the Fat Duck)

----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Griffin NoName

Quote from: goat starer on June 05, 2013, 12:11:25 AM
...........we need to recreate the link between effort and reward

We should all get "Progress" badges.  :)

Quote from: goat starer on June 05, 2013, 12:11:25 AM
...................(I'm surprised heston bluhmental is not serving that at the Fat Duck)

I think the current state of affairs can be summed up by the fact that Greg Wallace put little old ladies holding up the queue at cash dispensers into Room 101 and the BBC did not censor it.

Psychic Hotline Host