News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Mugglemarch

Started by Griffin NoName, September 27, 2012, 06:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Some of you may not get the title of this thread- see here - it is a classic in English novels.

Whatsername's book The Casual Vacancy is out today.

The price ranges from £9 to £34 pounds for the same item - who are these people that would choose the highest price - I never understand this sales technique.

Anyhow, what I wanted to say iis, this has spawned the great title: Harry Potter and the Miraculously Unguarded Vagina

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

In Germany the HP books were sold with different covers at very different prices. Adults who would not want to be seen reading 'books for children' could chose the 'neutral' one that looked like something 'serious' but had to pay much more for it.
Terry Pratchett had a similar problem even in English speaking countries. A lot of people had problems with the colourful Kirby covers. They thought it would make them look like reading 'low' stuff.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Doesn't seem to apply here. Same book, covers an all are shown whatever the price. Some, but not all, the expensive ones are saying import from US, import from Germany, which is a bit silly when it's published here. I can see no reason at all why anyone would choose to buy any of the ones >£9.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 27, 2012, 09:49:39 PM
Doesn't seem to apply here. Same book, covers an all are shown whatever the price. Some, but not all, the expensive ones are saying import from US, import from Germany, which is a bit silly when it's published here. I can see no reason at all why anyone would choose to buy any of the ones >£9.

Nor could I... you could easily get the various HP books at various prices, occasionally depending on how frilly the covers were:  faux leather?  Sure, for an additional price.  Boxed, "matching" sets?  Again--more than purchasing the individual copies would be, and including a nice pasteboard slipcase, all decorated and stuff.

But in each case, the words-in-a-row were exactly the same.

Never understood the desire to pay extra for frilly covers, myself.   These days?  I pay somewhat less for no covers at all.   Or, for that matter, no pages, either-- I'm literally buying only the words-in-a-row here, literary content at it's purest form.  :)

I read the summary of her latest, and the Kindle price is not unreasonable for a bestselling author.  I may or may not give it a go.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on September 28, 2012, 12:42:02 PM
Never understood the desire to pay extra for frilly covers, myself.   
I read the summary of her latest, and the Kindle price is not unreasonable for a bestselling author.  I may or may not give it a go.

The expensive ones don't have different covers or anything - they are identical in all repsects to the £9 ones. That's what puzzles me.

The Kindle price on amazon.co.uk is more than the hardback.
Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Griffin NoName on September 28, 2012, 05:15:05 PM
The Kindle price on amazon.co.uk is more than the hardback.

That's unusual.  Usually, the ebook price is slightly above, or roughly even with the paperback price, or at least that's what I've seen. 

Perhaps the ebook price will drop, once the book's been around awhile.  I can wait, it's not really my sort of read anyhow, and I'm deep into several continuing series at the moment anyhow.

Besides, all the talk about H Potter has me thinking about re-reading the series, as it's been awhile since I did that.  And since I've given up dead-tree books, I'll have to fork over for the ebook collection.  At least, there's a discount, if you buy the whole 7 at one go...

... meh.  As if Rowling needs even more cash-money...  ::)

Swatopluk

At least she refuses to transfer it to the Caymans like certain political candidates :mrgreen:
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on September 29, 2012, 12:20:31 AM
Besides, all the talk about H Potter has me thinking about re-reading the series, as it's been awhile since I did that.  And since I've given up dead-tree books, I'll have to fork over for the ebook collection.  At least, there's a discount, if you buy the whole 7 at one go...

Does your local library support e-books? Most of the larger cities these days lend 'em electronically for free.
WWDDD?

Quote from: Aggie on October 09, 2012, 07:28:45 PM
Does your local library support e-books? Most of the larger cities these days lend 'em electronically for free.

Oh, yes-- mine does.  All in ePub form too, which my tablet supports.  But, alas, they want 2 weeks, and I've become slow enough a reader that that is just not enough time to get through a really good book.  I used to go through 2-3 books a week, back in the day...

... but now I have other things to do, besides read these days.

Griffin NoName

Library? What Library? The Tories have abolished them. :o
Psychic Hotline Host