News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Chief Rabbi v. Dawkins

Started by Griffin NoName, September 13, 2012, 07:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on September 18, 2012, 09:58:38 PM
I may like to think that I have instilled critical thinking to my son on the subject, but the reality is that he will take my thoughts as a model to embrace or reject, with rejection at a significantly lower probability.

It depends on how you've instilled it, I suppose.  Overly rigid dogma, rigidly instilled, may lead to an increased level of rejection, whereas a kindly introduction to critical thinking lets him observe that you have thought-out reasons for your belief. It's the 'because' in 'I think this because' that lends evidence, not the 'this'.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Regardless, a theist may have perfectly reasonably sounding 'becauses' instilling them in his/her children, and without ill intent I may add.

Even then in many places it is a given, for instance, the overwhelming majority of people in Latin America is Xtian (mostly Catholic but other flavors are available upon request...) and if society as a whole believes in something it doesn't matter how strongly or gently the belief is instilled, chances are that the majority will be believers. Indoctrination may be in the minds of a small elite but the reality is that the mass still believes. On the same token, more people stops believing as critical thinking is instilled by other sections of society and it isn't absurd to believe (no pun intended) that at some point the majority of society will be composed by non believers, despite the efforts of those bent on indoctrination.

Now religion will have to adapt or die as Pieces pointed out in a different thread, but it may take a few more centuries to get there.

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.