News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

The history of the world* in 2 minutes

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, September 06, 2012, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Here's a pretty good video of the history of the world* in about 2 minutes

http://www.viddler.com/v/dd2d628b

I don't know how to embed Viddler though.

* well, mostly of the Western world, with emphasis on the USA of course. 
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Excellent, although the timescale seems a little off :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: GriffinExcellent, although the timescale seems a little off :mrgreen:

I thought that. Man is supposed to have appeared at 11:58 pm or some such.

Quote from: pieces o nine on September 07, 2012, 04:11:00 AM
Quote502 Bad Gateway
:(

Try this one:

http://thechive.com/2012/09/06/the-history-of-the-world-in-2-minutes-video/

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on September 07, 2012, 10:40:20 AM
Quote from: GriffinExcellent, although the timescale seems a little off :mrgreen:

I thought that. Man is supposed to have appeared at 11:58 pm or some such.

Yeah, they kinda skipped over the first three and a half billion years of Earth's history...

:)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It looked a bit... western to me.
---
For some reason it reminded me of this one:
[youtube=425,350]1hsDn2kNriI[/youtube]
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Can't watch that since the background music is copyrighted and thus the GEMA blocks access for Germany.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Works in UK. France seems always-most at war.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Then?  There's this one-- a video of shame of sorts.

The history of Atomic Testing/Use, from 1945 to 1998.     The shame is the number of devices set off by the USA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lquok4Pdk

[youtube=425,350]I9lquok4Pdk[/youtube]

From the description:

Uploaded by 0Dont0Blink0 on Jul 12, 2010

The 2053 nuclear tests and explosions that took place between 1945 and 1998 are plotted visually and audibly on a world map.

As the video starts out detonations are few and far between. The first three detonations represent the Manhattan Project and the two bombs that ended World War II. After a few representative minutes the USSR and Britain enter the nuclear club and the testing really starts to heat up.

Even though the video does not differentiate between sub-critical "safety" tests and full detonations, you get a good idea of the fever of the nuclear arms race.

The time line does not extent to tests by North Korea (October 2006 and May 2009).
video credit: goes to Isao Hashimoto (www.ctbto.org/specials/1945-1998-by-isao-hashimoto/)

The video was cleaned up, re-sized and edited to fit You tube's 10min limit by the folks at Bit of Fun
Category:

Film & Animation
License:

Standard YouTube License

Roland Deschain

^ That's definitely a video of shame, and something that should never be repeated either here or in space. Ever!
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

pieces o nine

I keep a download of ^^ Bob's link for people who panic because ZOMG WE ARE FALLING BEHIND THE WORLD IN WEAPONS!!!

Sadly, it has never had the desired effect on any of them.   :P
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

They left out the South African test (extremly likely with Israeli cooperation).

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 11, 2012, 09:45:24 AM
They left out the South African test (extremly likely with Israeli cooperation).

Yes--the video quits at 1998 -- thus it also leaves out the Korean tests too.   In fact, I seem to remember there've been several tests since then.  But it's an old(er) video, been around for 20 years? Or so.

The message (to me, at least) is clear:  the USA has no business complaining to anyone else, about mass-destructive weaponry testing, what with all the atomic-powered egg on their face.

Swatopluk

I just refreshed my memory by looking it up. If the South Africans did a test, it was in 1979 but it is disputed whether that test took place or not. Something flashy happened and a SA live nuke test is a prime candidate but SA neither confirms nor denies (as Israel does about it own program). A satellite registered a double flash typical for a nuclear explosion but no fallout could be detected afterwards.
As we all know, SA shut down its program and got rid of the nuclear stockpile when the end of apartheid loomed. Can't trust them n-words with the stuff, can ya?

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 11, 2012, 02:36:18 PM
I just refreshed my memory by looking it up. If the South Africans did a test, it was in 1979 but it is disputed whether that test took place or not. Something flashy happened and a SA live nuke test is a prime candidate but SA neither confirms nor denies (as Israel does about it own program). A satellite registered a double flash typical for a nuclear explosion but no fallout could be detected afterwards.
As we all know, SA shut down its program and got rid of the nuclear stockpile when the end of apartheid loomed. Can't trust them n-words with the stuff, can ya?

Interesting.

I suspect that the Israelis have done some deep-underground testing, as well as been privy to some of the earlier US testing as "consultants"-- with more than 200 1000 to the US's credit, it would not surprise me in the slightest, to eventually learn that a few of those were actually Israeli tests, using our testing methodologies/locations.  And with our help & blessings, naturally.

I cannot prove that-- but I'd be willing to bet a largish sum, if there could be a way of uncovering the facts.  

Edit: I had forgotten how gratuitous-many the US actually set off...