News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What is Vaginagate?

Started by Griffin NoName, June 18, 2012, 02:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

It's all over FB, but why? What? I know nothing. Assuming it's nothing to do with the Vagina Monologues.

The Oxford Comma is all over FB too, but I know what that is.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Is it about that female (Dem) representative that the (GOP) speaker banned from participating in any debate until at least the end of the session for using that word on the floor (in the context of an anti-abortion/contraception bill)?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

I thought it was some sort of chastity belt.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Opsa on June 18, 2012, 06:46:12 PM
I thought it was some sort of chastity belt.

Or the Vulval vestibule. Patrolling the inner parts is not enough.

Opsa

I try to tell my husband this, but does he listen?

There are all sorts of words I can think of to call anyone who would make "vagina" into a dirty word, but I guess they'd throw me out for saying them.

Swatopluk

Let's go back to 'that jade portal the pearl staff enters through', if not L'Origine_du_monde  ;)

I get a bit NSFW today.

Opsa

You're in a naughty mood, Swato. But everything is nice and clean.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Not according to the Brazilians...  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Ouchies!  Must be the retired nazi influence.

Darlica

:ROFL: :1stprize:

Opsa, Zono and Swato I got tea in my keyboard and nearly woke up Lindorm with my coughing/laughing... Thank's a lot guys...

;D :P ;D
:-*
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Swatopluk on June 18, 2012, 07:17:31 PM
Let's go back to 'that jade portal the pearl staff enters through', if not L'Origine_du_monde  ;)

I get a bit NSFW today.
You're lucky I looked at this at home. :o :mrgreen:

It's Everybody Say Vagina Day on Facebook today, in honour of that fine upstanding woman who dared speak a medical term in a house of male-dominated politics. I, too, can think of some very fine rebuttals that would hopefully have entered my head if I were in her position, but their NSFW label does not permit I repeat them here.

Anyways, the link to the Facebook group is HERE. If you type "say vagina day" into Google, or especially into Google Images, you'll find all sorts of info on it.

So in the spirit of the day...Vagina.

A little intro to it:-

Michigan State Rep. Mike Callton (R) "What she said was offensive. It was so offensive, I don't want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company."

What did she say that was so HORRIBLE?!!

Lisa Brown (D), Michigan State Rep., simply said the word "vagina" - and she was silenced for "lack of decorum"!

Her response? "What word would they prefer I use? If I can't say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas? I'm outraged that this legislative body not only wants to dictate what women can do, but what we can say."
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Griffin NoName

What was the original statment? All discussions seem to be about the reactions, not the original statement.
Psychic Hotline Host

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 22, 2012, 06:28:15 PM
What was the original statment? All discussions seem to be about the reactions, not the original statement.
The original statement is HERE. I shall warn you though. It contains the word Vagina.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Roland Deschain on June 22, 2012, 09:24:23 PM

The original statement is HERE. I shall warn you though. It contains the word Vagina.

I fell for that.
Psychic Hotline Host

Roland Deschain

I have no idea what happened there. The link should have worked. ???

Here's the link in full for you - http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/06/vagina_lisa_brown_vaginagate.html

Griffin NoName

:ROFL: I thought it was a serious trick.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

If we are prohibited from saying "vagina" in "polite" company?

What on earth do we say instead?   (I can think of several that are somewhat less polite...) 

Perhaps those artificially- "offended" men would prefer "baby chute?"   Or how about "p***s receptacle"?  Since, in their view, that's it's sole function, according to their book.  Right?   And it is just fine to say "pe**s in polite company, right?  After all--men's bodies are all holy and s***.    Right?

... meh.

I suspect what these ivory-tower types really want, is for women to pretend their bodies are not female at all-- at least, while they are attending the "men's club" of their(men's) "government".

... meh2

2That's "meh" squared, in case you wondered...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

The male part is to be referred to simply as 'member', intercourse as 'to know'. If the female parts are to be mentioned at all (strongly discouraged), 'her primaries' may be suitable.

Quote from: Swatopluk on June 27, 2012, 06:06:36 PM
The male part is to be referred to simply as 'member', intercourse as 'to know'. If the female parts are to be mentioned at all (strongly discouraged), 'her primaries' may be suitable.

But how do you differentiate between her vagina and her breasts?  Are not each of these considered "primaries"?     

I mean, in the baby-factory business, does not the female require all of the assets, to be a good baby-maker? 

Inquiring minds want to know.

:D

/end sarcasm

Swatopluk

The breasts are the secondaries, everything else are tertiaries (at least in textbooks over here). Occasionally non-bodily markers (e.g. typical female clothes) are split off as a category of their own.

Griffin NoName

How to differentiate from no. ones and no. twos ? :mrgreen:
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Over here girls are neutral anyway  ;)

pieces o nine

The male part is to be referred to simply as 'member', intercourse as 'to know'. If the female parts are to be mentioned at all (strongly discouraged), 'her (shameful) nakedness' or 'secrets' or 'the place of the breaking forth of children' may be suitable.

FTFY with the help of Levi Ticus.    ;)
If truly desperate, one may always resort to the extremely hallowed euphemism, 'feet'...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Quote from: pieces o nine on June 28, 2012, 02:32:33 AM
If truly desperate, one may always resort to the extremely hallowed euphemism, 'feet'...

Shakespeare used that one for bilingual dirty jokes in Henry V.

Aggie

The male part is to be referred to simply as 'member', intercourse as 'to know'.

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on June 27, 2012, 05:54:31 PM
I suspect what these ivory-tower types really want, is for women to pretend their bodies are not female at all-- at least, while they are attending the "men's club" of their(men's) "government".

It's perhaps not a coincidence that politicians are known as members of a caucus. ::)
WWDDD?

Roland Deschain

Swato, it's great to see Shakespeare's filthy jokes aren't going to waste, even 400 years later. ;D

The whole thing would be laughable if it hadn't gone so far, but what's been said and done by certain Republicans here is despicable. I think i'd have more than one choice substitute for them, although all rather untaddy, lol.

Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 27, 2012, 03:37:59 PM
:ROFL: I thought it was a serious trick.
I really wish i'd thought of it for use somewhere else. This will be saved for later fun... ;D

Quote from: Aggie on June 28, 2012, 05:35:17 PMIt's perhaps not a coincidence that politicians are known as members of a caucus. ::)
You win the prize for best comment today. Yay! :tequila: Honourable mention will also go to PoN, Griffin, and Swato. :drunk: :downit:

Swatopluk

Do you know where the word 'testify' comes from and why women could not usually testify.
In ancient times men did not hold their hand or some fingers up in oath  but put them on their testicles. There was an implicit threat that they would be removed in case of perjury.

As for members, the German word is Mitglied ('with the part'). Glied is also the regular German word for the penis. There was an extended debate among feminists about a proper female word. Some proposals were 'Ohneglied' ('without the part') and Mitklitoris ('with the clitoris'=female part).
For completeness, non-member is Nichtmitglied ('not with the part'). Btw how can females be partners when they lack the part? ;)

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Swatopluk on June 28, 2012, 09:43:06 PM
Do you know where the word 'testify' comes from and why women could not usually testify.
In ancient times men did not hold their hand or some fingers up in oath  but put them on their testicles. There was an implicit threat that they would be removed in case of perjury.

As for members, the German word is Mitglied ('with the part'). Glied is also the regular German word for the penis. There was an extended debate among feminists about a proper female word. Some proposals were 'Ohneglied' ('without the part') and Mitklitoris ('with the clitoris'=female part).
For completeness, non-member is Nichtmitglied ('not with the part'). Btw how can females be partners when they lack the part? ;)

I think, at least with regards to male politicians?  They should re-instate part of that tradition:  if they lie?  They lose "something dear"-- they'll have two shots at it.

I cannot think of a suitable substitute for women-- but then, there aren't so many of them in politics anyway.

Swatopluk

Loss of balls alone for an adult just saves money on contraception. That's one reason The Church was against it. Western eunuchs can still have sex (Eastern practices were more radical) and the loss of hormones can easily be dealt with with medication (ask athletes). The Church actually believed that enunchs were extra randy (and the most famous castrates were known as extreme chick magnets, giving some credence to that).

Personally I am more for an obedience collar. The electric jolt will increase in power for each detected lie. Politicians (and some other public figures) would have to begin to calculate how many lies they can risk before they get electrocuted.

I do like that ever so much--

-- especially, if you put in a "lie counter".

The counter can be automatically reset, if the wearer does not tell a lie for some fixed period of time, say a week (of no lies of any kind).

But as each lie is told?  The voltage is upped some.  I suggest a logarithmic scale here.

I would also like to see a mild buzz sound, just before the shock, so that the TV can register the facial expressions of affect politico, just before the impending shock.   Plus, it would help keep the focus on the fact the politico just told a lie-- and what the lie was (and that it was a lie).

Can you imagine how long Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin would last under one of these things? 

Five minutes into Beck's show, they'd have to run a re-run-- "We are sorry, the host has passed out again, from electric shock."

Swatopluk

Alas that lie detectors do not really work. And once humans have to make the decision the door is open to corruption.

Roland Deschain

This theoretical lie detector with extra special surprise would be awesome. I'd advocate it for every politician, banker, civil servant, solicitor, etc. How deliciously evil that would be. :devil: