News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Jubilee

Started by Griffin NoName, June 04, 2012, 04:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Absolutely amazing pageant on the Thames today. Over a 1,000 boats. Took 4 hours to travel from Albert bridge to Tower Bridge. Hugely British endeavour, lots of ridiculous flourishes, gladdens the heart. Of course it rained, but the British just carry on as if it isn't raining. Her Maj. and P.Philip stood and waved throughout - 86 and 91 and stood for four hours....... I watched it on TV with the usual inane commentary....... "there's the boat just moving in behind the boats that are in front of it",,,,, glorious.

[youtube=425,350]9q2kDb4-cZE[/youtube]
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

As well as the big London events there were thousands of local celebrations all over the UK.

Our village had planned a big celebration out of doors, but we had to hold it in the village hall instead - the rain was piddling down.

Still, we had a good time; lots of people turned up in a good spirit.  I was on the local history display which attracted a lot of inquiries.

So, not so bad after all.

Opsa

I once heard a comedian say that the Brits are the only people that can have it pouring buckets on their vacation day at the beach and will still look out at the rain over a cup of tea and say "lovely".

We've been reading about The Jubilee over here, and it sounds positively grand.

Sibling DavidH

QuoteI once heard a comedian say that the Brits are the only people that can have it pouring buckets on their vacation day at the beach and will still look out at the rain over a cup of tea and say "lovely".

Just substitute a string of obscene expletives for "lovely", and you'll be more or less right.  :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

Nice rain, isn't it?

(Canonical introdcution of the thing called 'question tag' in English textbooks)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

No parties near me, just masses of police anti-parking bollards on all the roads. If I was well enough I might have gone down to the river, which is presumably where all the people who might otherwise have had parties were, but impossible given current health (and not forgetting the rain).
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Roland Deschain

I shall reluctantly introduce a tone of bah humbug ( :mrgreen: ), but I didn't celebrate one iota of the jubilee. I know it's a good excuse for a drink, as one Scottish friend told me, but I just can't get excited over any of it. The spectacle of the boats would have been cool to see, but only because i've never seen that many boats assembled on the Thames before, or anywhere, for that matter. And let's not forget the drink, either. ;D
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

Would you be interested in a ballad about boats going up the Tames wreaking havoc in the Oxford area? :mrgreen: (in German though)

Sibling DavidH

^ Cos Swato's written one.  It's very good.

I agree, Roly - I didn't rush around full of synthetic enthusiasm for her Maj, either.  But ours was a pleasant village event, a good-natured get-together.  And I was helping our local history mob and a charity called Homestart.  So it was fun and I'm glad I took part.

This sums up the artificial nonsense.

Roland Deschain

Lol, Swato. Go for it.

It is, David. More events should be done like this locally in towns and villages, as it helps give a sense of community to an area. It's a good way to meet the people you live near, which isn't hard in a village (been there, done that), but much harder in a town or city setting.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Roland Deschain on June 04, 2012, 09:05:10 PM
Lol, Swato. Go for it.

Not yet fully finished. Just 150 stanzas until now and I think I'll need at least 20 more to fill the still existing gaps. Currently the Vikings have broken into the church and prepare to put it to the torch (and the priests to the blade). NSFW stuff. But no women or children get harmed (no pets either). ::)

Griffin NoName

So...today it was the concert. Aside, I watched the river because a thousand boats was amazing. I watched the concert in case I missed something if I didn't.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

What did they play?

Griffin NoName

This

Best was "Let it Be".
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

and last but not least, after the Xtian appointed by G-d stuff, the balcony scene with the fly past. All I wanted to see was the Lancaster, but the BBC more or less obscured it by focusing on the Hurricane, which made me cross, although the red arrows always cheer one up.

Just read  a nice one on Twitter re Jubilee concert....

"this was the same set Cliff did for Queen Victoria"

Cliff Richard
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

Ok Triple Posting  :rulez:

The Jubilee Song = called Sing

The first video shows how they developed it. Forget imperialism.

The second shows it being sung at the Jubilee. Click past Rolfe Harris being unbearable.

[youtube=425,350]0ah_Yf7ey1Q[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]XGskYM5Ls08[/youtube]

AND to die for................. best bit at end.....

[youtube=425,350]qsJJbjAx_AU[/youtube]

....forget Johnny Depp.....  ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

John Oliver was able to express my opinion on the subject:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-4-2012/the-queen-who-stares-at-boats---royal-jubilee

For those unable to watch the clip:
Quote from: The Daily ShowOliver: ...the sad last gasp of a once powerful empire, it's best days long behind it, desperately trying to conjure up a happier time when it was something more than a decaying relic.
Stewart: obviously a pretty harsh thing to say about your own homeland...
Oliver: Oh no! I'm talking about CNN...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

I loved the segment title:  "The Queen Who Stares at Boats"

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Roland Deschain

Why, PoN. You have a regatta all to yourself there. ;D